Pumpkin snickerdoodles are a fall version of the favorite Christmas cookie. These soft cookies are made with pumpkin and coated in pumpkin pie spice and sugar for extra flavor.
This post is sponsored by Dixie Crystals and Taylor and Colledge in conjunction with #FallFlavors week. All opinions are my own.
If you love the classic Christmas cookie, snickerdoodles, this fall inspired version will be a nice surprise for your family in the cookie jar.
This recipe came about because my oldest loves snickerdoodle cookies and all things pumpkin so I decided to try a mash up of sorts. He was glad I did! The cookies didn’t last long!
The ingredients for pumpkin snickerdoodles at a glance.
- 100% Pure Pumpkin
- Sugar (I used Dixie Crystals)
- Vanilla Bean Paste (I used Taylor & Colledge)
- Baking Powder
- Pumpkin Pie Spice (I make my own)
As you can see from the ingredient list, I make my own pumpkin pie spice. It’s a combination of 5 spices you probably already have in your spice cabinet. Making your own saves money and uses up spices.
My family loves the classic snickerdoodle cookie and I usually make them every holiday season. That’s why I was so happy they enjoyed this pumpkin one.
Tips and Tricks
A few things to note when making this recipe:
- Don’t skip chilling the dough. Firming up the butter helps to keep them from spreading too much and keeps them a softer cookie.
- Use a cookie scoop to make uniform cookies. The smallest scoop will make about 5 dozen cookies.
- I like to coat the entire cookie in the sugar mixture. When I do this, I often need to make more to finish up the cookies. You can choose to just dip the tops of the cookie if you prefer.
- Don’t overbake. When the edges brown, they are close to done, if not done. The bottom should be golden.
History of the Snickerdoodle Cookie
Snickerdoodles, also called snipdoodles or simply cinnamon sugar cookies, have been around since the late 1800s. It seems they originated in New England but come from either German or Dutch heritage.
It was a cookie developed by cooking teacher and newspaper writer Corneila Campbell Bedford of New York. She had been working on a recipe for the Cleveland Baking Power company when she created the snickerdoodle we know today.
More Pumpkin Recipes
- Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread
- Pumpkin Spice Margarita
- Glazed Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Scones
- Jumbo Pumpkin Spice Muffins with Streusel Topping
Welcome to #FallFlavors where more than 25 food bloggers are sharing recipes with favorite Fall flavors. Our sponsors, Millican Pecan, Dixie Crystals, Melissa’s Produce, Taylor & Colledge, Nairn’s, and Republic of Tea, have furnished participating bloggers with complimentary product to use in their recipe creations that they will be sharing this week. These same sponsors have generously offered prizes for our giveaway so be sure to enter and share with your friends so they can enter too. Be sure to follow our Fall Flavors Pinterest account for more inspiration.
Prize 1: Texas Pecan Candy Basket from Millican Pecan
The Millican Pecan Texas Pecan Candy Basket is loaded with a variety of pecan gifts. Includes 6 Milk Chocolate Pecan Clusters, 6 Milk Chocolate Caramillicans (similar to Turtles), 6 White Chocolate Caramillicans, 6 Pecan Pralines, and a ½ lb. Bag of Flavored Pecans! Every bit DELICIOUS! A $75 value.
Prize 2: Williams Sonoma Cleartouch Nonstick 6-Piece Bakeware Set from Dixie Crystals
Perfect for the occasional baker, our entry-level collection features a sturdy nonstick silicone coating at a great value. Aluminized steel, the material of choice for professional bakers, provides excellent heat transfer for even baking, so food turns out beautifully and releases easily, every time. 6-Piece Set includes: Half-sheet pan, 12-cup muffin pan, round cake pan, square cake pan, rectangular cake pan, loaf pan. An $80 value.
Prize 3: 3 Month Melissa’s Produce Gift Subscription
A stunning selection of the most delicious produce will be delivered once a month for 3 months. At Melissa’s, the produce is selected at their peak of perfection and packed by hand to ensure safe arrival. A $124 value.
Prize 4: A Red Dancing Leaves Teapot and a tin of Hot Apple Cider Tea from The Republic of Tea
Let the aroma of fresh apple and mulled cider spices envelop you as you sip this golden infusion. The crisp, lingering finish will leave you wanting more! A naturally-caffeine free blend of apples, cinnamon cloves and ginger. Reminiscent of apple cider, with the luscious aroma of cinnamon and cloves, make this cup the perfect accompaniment to the colors of the harvest season.
Embossed, windswept leaves whirl across this 20 oz ceramic teapot. Includes a stainless steel infuser. An exclusive design by The Republic of Tea. A $44 value
Prize 5: A selection of six flavors of Oat Crackers from Nairn’s
One winner will receive a box of each Nairn’s Original, Chocolate Chip, Stem Ginger Oat Grahams, Caramelized Onions, Rosemary & Sea Salt Flatbreads, and Oat Cracker. Nairn’s has been baking oats since 1896. They use simple, natural, and wholesome ingredients in their products. Minimum $25 value
Prize 6: A Selection of extracts from Taylor and Colledge.
One winner will receive a selection of extracts to include vanilla bean, almond, lemon, and lavender. In 1897, Taylor & Colledge won its first award for excellence in vanilla. Since then, the Taylor & Colledge commitment for unsurpassed quality has earned its reputation as one of the world’s finest producers of vanilla. Minimum of $25 value
Six (6) winners will be randomly selected. The prize packages will be sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. Bloggers are not responsible for prize fulfillment. Winners have 24 hours to respond once notified by email, or they forfeit the prize and an alternate winner will be chosen. The #FallFlavors bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members living in the household cannot enter or win the giveaway. Entries will be verified. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. Must be 18 years of age or older to enter giveaway and the contest is open only to US residents. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the #FallFlavors posts or entries. Thank you to our sponsors Millican Pecan Company, Dixie Crystals, Melissa’s Produce, Taylor & Colledge, Republic of Tea, and Nairn’s for providing prizes.a Rafflecopter giveaway
More #FallFlavors Recipes
Appetizers and Snacks
- Caramel Pecan Clusters from An Affair from the Heart
- Carrot Top Hummus from Savory Moments
- Fall Charcuterie Board from Magical Ingredients
- Roasted Red Pepper and Crab Savory Cheesecake from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Sweet And Spicy Roasted Nuts from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
Breakfast and Baked Goods
- Apple Cranberry Pecan Overnight Oats from Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Cinnamon Apple Bread from Lemon Blossoms
- Sweet Potato Pancakes from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Soups and Salads
- Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup from Devour Dinner
- Panera Autumn Squash Soup from The Fresh Cooky
- Salmon Salad With Grapes And Pecans from Art of Natural Living
- Apple Butter Dijon Roasted Brussel Sprouts With Candied Pecans And Green Apple from Soulfully Made
- Butternut Squash And Bacon Risotto from SueBee Homemaker
- Loaded Bacon And Kale Salad from Palatable Pastime
- Roasted Maple Bacon Brussels Sprouts And Butternut Squash from Eat Move Make
- Sausage Stuffed Acorn Squash from Hostess At Heart
- Apple Cider Rubbed Pork Chops from That Recipe
- Thai Butternut Squash Curry from Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Butternut Squash Parmesan Pasta from Frugal & Fit
- Grape & Gorgonzola Pizza from The Spiffy Cookie
- Honey Dijon Chicken Sheet Pan Dinner from Simple and Savory
- How To Air Fry Pork Tenderloin With Sweet Potatoes from West Via Midwest
- Butter Pecan Fudge from Take Two Tapas
- Cinnamon Roll Cheesecake from Fresh April Flours
- Easy Apple Crisp from Life Love and Good Food
- Espresso Chocolate Chip Cookies from Books n’ Cooks
- French Apple Tart from Jen around the world
- Individual Grape Crumble from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Pumpkin Roll from House of Nash Eats
- Pumpkin Snickerdoodles from Family Around The Table
- Slow Cooker Apple Pear Crisp from Blogghetti
- 1 cup of unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- ½ cup canned pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling
- 1 ½ cups of granulated sugar (I used Dixie Crystals)
- 2 teaspoons of pure vanilla bean paste (I used Taylor & Colledge)
- 1 ½ teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 egg
- 2 ⅔ cups of all-purpose flour
- For rolling:
- ¾ cup of granulated sugar (I used Dixie Crystals)
- 1 tablespoon of pumpkin pie spice
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, the softened butter on medium speed just until smooth and lighter in color.
- Add sugar, pumpkin, vanilla bean paste, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, and salt . Beat until well combined, about 2 minutes. Pause to scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add the egg and mix until incorporated.
- Once the egg is mixed in, add the flour and mix until it is all incorporated, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Cover and refrigerate the dough for about two hours. It's OK to leave it in the mixture.
- Once the cookie dough is sufficiently chilled, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat and set aside.
- Combine the ¾ cup of sugar and pumpkin pie spice in a small bowl, mixing until all the spice is incorporated.
- Use a small cookie scoop to scoop dough. Lightly roll dough into ball and coat with pumpkin pie spice sugar mixture.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for approximately 10 minutes, until edges and bottom begin to brown.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.