Strawberry Salad with Grilled Chicken and Strawberry Balsamic Vinaigrette is one of my favorite recipes to make during the Florida strawberry season. The winter Florida climate is perfect to grow the beautiful luscious berries.
This post is sponsored by Florida Strawberry. All opinions are my own.
If you’ve never had a juicy Florida strawberry, well, you’re missing out. They are available from November to April each year and if you live in the sunshine state, are already buying them in season.
If you’re a regular reader of my blog you know how much my family loves Florida strawberries. I just can’t get enough when they are in season. If you want to know more about the best berry on the planet find out more here at Florida Strawberry. Each beautiful berry is jam-packed full of berry good nutrition.
Strawberries are virtually fat-free so it’s easy to indulge. Just eight berries contain more vitamin C than one orange and the perfect serving size is 5 ounces. With such a small serving size it’s so easy to include the nutritional benefits of Florida strawberries in a healthy diet in a variety of ways. Especially if you’ve made New Year’s resolutions!
One of my favorite ways to get this healthy berry into my family’s diet is to make smoothies, like this strawberry vanilla smoothie. Adding chopped strawberries to warm oatmeal on a cool morning or to salads are other great ideas.
Another favorite salad is this strawberry salad that has a delicious sweet and sour dressing. Florida strawberries add a touch of sweetness to any salad, in addition to the nutrition benefits. Did you know that a strawberry is the only fruit with the seeds on the outside?
On a less healthy note…I like to make strawberry milkshakes for my kids too. When the price is right, which is usually the entire Florida strawberry season, I also buy up the berries to make freezer strawberry jam so I always have my favorite spread for my toast.Strawberry Salad with Grilled Chicken and Strawberry Balsamic Vinaigrette is one of my favorite recipes to make during the Florida strawberry season. The winter Florida climate is perfect to grow the beautiful luscious berries. #salad #strawberries @FamTable
The possibilities for using strawberries are endless. Dipping strawberries in chocolate is always a treat. My chocolate-dipped ganache stuffed strawberries use bittersweet chocolate which is considered in the same category as dark chocolate.
- 2 grilled boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups mixed salad greens, or your favorite blend
- 1/4 cup cucumber chopped
- 1/2 cup Florida strawberries, hulled and sliced
Strawberry Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 1 cup fresh Florida strawberries, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup good olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar, more to taste depending on berries
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 Tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon sugar
- To make candied almonds:
- In a small skillet, cook almonds and sugar over low heat, stirring constantly until sugar is melted and almonds are coated. Sprinkle almonds onto a sheet of waxed paper; let cool. Break almonds apart and set aside.
- To make strawberry balsamic vinaigrette:
- In the bowl of a blender, combine all ingredients. Puree until liquified. Tasting as you go, adding more sugar if necessary. Start with 1/4 cup olive oil and add to drizzling consistency.
- To assemble salad: Place one cup of mixed greens on each of 2 plates. Arrange 1/4 cup of sliced strawberries and 1/8 cup of chopped cucumber on each plate. Slice grilled chicken breast on the diagonal and lay slices over salad. Sprinkle with candied almonds. Serve with strawberry balsamic vinaigrette on the side.