Red velvet treats are staples in homes across the southern United States. These red velvet cake mix crinkle cookies are a festive cookie for your holiday celebrations.
What ingredients do I need to make red velvet cake mix crinkle cookies?
- Red Velvet Cake Mix – Both Betty Crocker and Duncan Hines make a red velvet variety. The box size was 15.25 ounces.
- Salad Oil – This could be either vegetable or canola oil.
- Eggs – Use large eggs
- Powdered Sugar – Also known as confectioners’ sugar. See the Pro Tip below.
If you love red velvet desserts, you’re going to love these easy red velvet cake mix crinkle cookies. No one has to know the cake mix secret!
How do you make crinkle cookies with a cake mix?
You can totally use a bowl and wooden spoon if you prefer you’ll just need to put some old-fashioned elbow grease into combining the ingredients. The batter is on the stiff side.
Pro Tip: If the cookies look wet in the “crinkles” after 9 minutes, allow to bake a minute or two longer.
Can I freeze red velvet crinkle cookie dough?
I would advise freezing this cookie dough. It’s on the sticky side and I don’t think it will freeze well.
If you do try it, please come back and let me know how it worked out.
Pro Tip: People always ask me how I get my cookies all the same size. It’s simple! I use a cookie scoop.
This cake mix red velvet crinkle cookies recipe requires only a few pantry and refrigerator ingredients. It’s an easy enough recipe for kids to make. Younger kids can get messy rolling the cookie dough in powdered sugar.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- It starts with a cake mix.
- Perfect for Christmas, Valentine’s Day, July 4th, and even Halloween.
- They are economical to make. Just a few ingredients are necessary.
- They come together quickly and are perfect for last-minute entertaining.
What type of cake mix should I use for red velvet cookies?
I used the Duncan Hines Signature cake mix, though Betty Crocker also makes a good red velvet cake mix. Either is perfectly fine. My store only had the Duncan Hines in stock so I went with it.
Pro Tip: Sift the powdered sugar into a small bowl before rolling the cookie dough in it. You don’t want clumps of sugar on the cookies, just a nice even layer.
How should I store crinkle cookies?
Any type of crinkle cookie should be stored in an airtight container. Keep them on the counter because if they get any sort of moisture, the sugar will get gooey.
They will keep 4 or 5 days if they last that long.
What is red velvet?
Velvet cakes date back to the Victorian Era. The word “velvet” lets people know the texture is soft and smooth. They were often served at fancy parties because cocoa was a luxury.
The cake and its original recipe are well known in the United States from New York City’s famous Waldorf-Astoria Hotel, which has been dubbed the Waldorf-Astoria cake.
Honestly, I don’t know anyone who calls it the Waldorf-Astoria cake. It is widely considered a Southern recipe because of its popularity in Southern states.
These red velvet cake mix crinkle cookies are a fun twist on the original idea.
More tasty red velvet recipes
- Red Velvet White Chip Cookies – Another festive cookie perfect for a holiday cookie tray. The white chocolate pairs nicely with the red velvet.
- Red Velvet Brownies – A decadent swirl of red velvet in a chocolate brownie.
- Red Velvet Cake Macaron – The Southern classic as a French macaron.
- Red Velvet Cheesecake – Another recipe that starts with a red velvet cake mix.
- 1 box Red Velvet Cake Mix, I used Duncan Hines
- ⅓ cup vegetable or canola oil
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup powdered sugar, for rolling the cookies
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the cake mix, canola oil, and eggs until a stiff dough forms.
- Chill the dough in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or use a silicone baking mat.
- Using a small cookie scoop, scoop the dough into 1 inch balls and roll in powdered sugar.
- Bake for 9 - 11 minutes. Cool 2 minutes on cookie sheet before removing to wire rack to cool completely.
~If the cookies look wet in the "crinkles" allow to bake a minute or two longer.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.