If you’re a fan of red velvet cake, these red velvet white chip cookies will be your new holiday favorite. Perfect for Valentine’s Day too!
Red velvet is quintessentially Southern. This cookie is perfect for Valentine’s Day, a Christmas cookie tray, even a 4th of July celebration. The rich red color with the white chocolate chips stands out on a dessert table.
So, what exactly is red velvet? Basically it’s chocolate with red food coloring. Can you use a chocolate cake mix? Sure but you won’t get the rich red color. A true red velvet confection uses cocoa.
I made these for the girls in our orthodontist office. I don’t think many people bring them treats because they were absolutely thrilled. They raved about the cookies and also thought they would be a nice treat for the holidays.
If you’re fan of this Southern delight, this will be your new favorite cookie. These cookies freeze well if you need to make them in advance of a party.
You could even freeze the dough rather than the baked cookie, which is what I prefer to do. Portion out the cookies and freeze on a cookie sheet then put in a freezer zip bag. Just bring the dough to room temperature before baking. You may need to add a minute or two to the bake time so begin checking them at the minimum time.
More cookie recipes:
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 2 teaspoons red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1-½ cups flour
- ⅓ cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, milk, food coloring and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Stir in baking chips.
- Drop dough by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake 6-8 minutes or until set. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Freeze option: Freeze cookies in freezer containers. To use, thaw before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.