The weather will be cooling off and it will soon be hot chocolate season. Pumpkin Spice Hot Chocolate with Butterscotch Whipped cream takes this favorite seasonal beverage to a new level.
I received product samples from sponsor companies to aid in the creation of the #PumpkinWeek recipes. All opinions are mine alone.
My house is filled with hot chocolate lovers. I love coming up with new flavors and this pumpkin spice version is a keeper. It’s a great way to use up leftover canned pumpkin. I made a recipe recently that didn’t use the entire can so I thought I’d throw some pumpkin in hot chocolate. I’m glad I did.
Simmer the hot chocolate mixture over low heat. It may look like a film forms on top but a quick stir will incorporate the chocolate. I started stirring with a spoon and changed to a whisk to use until it was smooth. Resist the urge to turn the heat up to incorporate the pumpkin or melt the chocolate. You don’t want to burn the chocolate because then the recipe will be ruined.
I’m also glad I made butterscotch whipped cream for the top using Torani butterscotch syrup. What a delicious flavor combination with the pumpkin and chocolate. Usually I’d pipe the whipped cream on and make it look pretty but I wanted a more homey feel so I just put a dollop, or two, on top. I love the look of a few mini chocolate chips with the orange sugar crystals from Sweets and Treats as a garnish.
Tips for making butterscotch whipped cream (or any flavored whipped cream):
- Use a chilled stainless steel bowl, if you have one, and a whisk beater.
- Make sure the whipping cream is cold from the refrigerator.
- Add the flavorings BEFORE you begin whipping the cream.
- Whip the cream to very stiff but don’t make butter!
- Don’t make the whipped cream too far in advance. It will weep if it sets too long.
More hot chocolate varieties:
- 2 ½ cups whole milk
- ⅓ cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (I used Dixie Crystals)
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
Butterscotch Whipped Cream
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons butterscotch syrup (I used Torani)
- 1 teaspoon sugar (I used Dixie Crystals)
- Orange sugar sprinkles for garnish (I used Sweets and Treats)
- In a small saucepan, heat milk over medium heat until it begins to bubble around the edges, about 5 - 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Turn heat to low and stir in pumpkin puree, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and vanilla extract. Stir until all ingredients are combined and pumpkin is incorporated.
- Add mini chocolate chips and continue stirring until all are melted and chocolate is smooth.
- Divide hot chocolate among 2 mugs, top with butterscotch whipped cream and orange sugar sprinkles.
- Make butterscotch whipped cream: In a chilled mixing bowl, using a chilled whisk beater whip heavy cream, Torani butterscotch syrup and sugar. Whip briskly until stiff.
Enjoy these #PumpkinWeek recipes from our bloggers:
Chocolate Peanut Butter Pumpkin Smoothie from It Bakes Me Happy
Falling for Orange: Pumpkin Amaro Cocktail from Caroline’s Cooking
Pumpkin Hazelnut Homemade Latte from The Beard and The Baker
Pumpkin Spice Hot Chocolate with Butterscotch Whipped Cream from Family Around the Table
Pumpkin Spice White Hot Chocolate from Blogghetti
The Best (and Easiest) Vegan Pumpkin Spice Latte from The Baking Fairy
Savory & Snack Pumpkin Recipes:
Creamy Pumpkin Pasta from The Bitter Side of Sweet
One Pot Pumpkin Pasta with Brie and Toasted Walnuts from Food Above Gold
Pumpkin & Cheddar Scalloped Potatoes from Sweet Beginnings
Pumpkin Coriander Soup from Frugal & Fit
Pumpkin Cornbread from 4 Sons R Us
Pumpkin Sausage Cheese Ball Balls from Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
Fast & Easy Pumpkin Pie Pudding from Creative Southern Home
Harvest Pumpkin Layer Cake from Palatable Pastime
Pumpkin and Cream Cheese Swirl Bars from Our Good Life
Pumpkin Cream Cheese Dip from The Mandatory Mooch
Pumpkin Pie Cheesecake Cookie Cups from Big Bear’s Wife
Pumpkin Pie Cut-Out Cookies from Love & Confections
Pumpkin Pudding Cookies from For the Love of Food
Pumpkin Spice Rice Krispies Treats from Kelly Lynns Sweets and Treats
Salted Caramel Pumpkin Ice Cream from My Sweet Zepol
White Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Cookies from Cheese Curd In Paradise
Vegan Pumpkin Cupcakes from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Fall is in the air, and we are celebrating our love of pumpkin with #PumpkinWeek hosted by Terri from Love and Confections and Christie from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures. All week-long 34 bloggers will be sharing 140+ fantastic recipes for all your Autumn celebrations, including breakfasts, baked goods, savory pumpkin recipes, desserts, and drinks.