These individual sausage and spinach skillet frittatas are a fun breakfast for the family. Full of flavor and easy to make they are pretty good for you too.
While this post isn’t intended as a recipe for a Keto diet or low-carb diet, it will work for those folks following them.
Mom always said breakfast is the most important meal of the day. If your house is anything like mine, it can get boring. I’m always looking for new ideas and this skillet meal was a hit. It’s inspired me to make more in the future too.
A quick reference to see if you have all of the ingredients. No bacon? Use all sausage. No sausage? Use all bacon. See how to make it vegetarian below.
- Green Onion
- Half and Half
- Cheddar Cheese
Make it Vegetarian
That’s easy. If you are hosting family or friends who are vegetarian, omit the sausage and bacon. Some other substitutions include:
- Red, Orange, Green, or Yellow Bell Peppers
- Sweet Onions
- Halved Grape or Cherry Tomatoes
- Chopped Basil
- Chopped Chives
Don’t overload the frittata with vegetables though. Pick a couple of your favorites but don’t use all of them.
Tips and Tricks for Making a Frittata
- Always put the mini skillets on a baking sheet. This will catch any spills if you overfill them.
- Whisk the eggs well so when the frittatas bake they are fluffy.
- Chop the spinach or chiffonade it. Since these are individual servings you don’t want to bite into a whole spinach leaf.
- If making a vegetarian frittata, cube up the vegetables. You don’t want large pieces. Sauté the veggies first if you prefer.
- Don’t have the mini-skillets? No worries, put the entire mixture into a 9-inch skillet, preferably cast iron but at least oven safe and bake until the center is set.
More Breakfast Recipes Using Eggs
In addition to this recipe for individual sausage and spinach skillet frittatas, here are more breakfast ideas that use eggs.
- ½ lb ground sausage, crumbled and browned
- 8 slices bacon, cooked
- 1 green onion, diced
- 8 baby spinach leaves, chopped
- 6 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon coarse black pepper
- ½ cup half and half
- ⅓ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Baby spinach leaves to garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 4 mini cast iron skillets (3.5 inches) with no-stick cooking spray. Place on parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Divide the sausage and bacon evenly between the skillets.
- Top each skillet with equal amounts of the onions and chopped spinach leaves.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, salt, pepper, and half and half. Pour mixture into a mixing cup and gently pour equal amounts into each skillet. Top with cheese sprinkled around the top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the eggs are set and the frittata pulls away from the edge of the skillet.
- Remove from the oven. Top with crumbled bacon. Allow to sit for 5 minutes before running a flat knife along the outside edge of the skillet to remove from the pan.
- Gently remove the frittata from the mini skillet and transfer to a plate for serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Farmer’s Market Week is always the first week in August. Whether you have a great local farm stand or market, are a member of a CSA or purchase your fruits and vegetables at the supermarket, follow our Pinterest board, for great recipes including those for appetizers, drinks, breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert and more.
Here’s more Farmer’s Market Week Recipes
Starter and Smoothie Recipes
- Orange and Greens Salad with Orange Vinaigrette by Magical Ingredients
- Pear Ginger Smoothie by Hostess At Heart
- Pickled Sport Peppers by Palatable Pastime
Side Dishes Recipes
- Cheesy Zucchini Rice by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Creamed Peas and Potatoes by House of Nash Eats
- Honey Butter Peas by West Via Midwest
- Instant Pot Sweet Potato by Devour Dinner
Main Dish Recipes
- Blackened Salmon with Cucumber, Tomato, Avocado Salad by Lemon Blossoms
- Farmer’s Market Cobb Salad by Our Good Life
- Individual Sausage and Spinach Skillet Frittatas by Family Around the Table
- Peach Smoothie Bowls by SueBee Homemaker
- Stir Fry Chicken with Blistered Green Beans by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Taco Stuffed Zucchini Boats by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures