These Individual Mermaid Ice Cream Treats are super easy to make. Get the kids involved in making them and serve for a summer treat after playing outside or at a sleepover.
This post and recipe was created for #SummerDessertWeek! I was sent samples from the sponsor companies but, as always, opinions are mine. Thank you for supporting the brands that work with Family Around the Table.
So, this is my first venture into mermaid anything. I know it’s been a popular trend for quite a while now but, since I have boys, it’s a trend I’ve not ever needed, to make anything girlie. That’s not to say I don’t like mermaids or girlie things. My boys once insisted I have a princess candle for my birthday.
Everything I used for this cute treat, the cupcake liners, mermaid tails using candy melts, candy decorations and disposable decorating bags, is in the Wilton DIY-Lish Mermaid Cupcake Decorating Kit. There really are no special techniques to make these mermaid treats that are sure to bring smiles. There are a few reasons these are so perfect for summer parties. First, they are no bake so no worries about heating up the house. Second, kids can get in on the fun of decorating. Serve them after a playdate, a day in the pool or for a summer sleepover. They would also be cute for a baby shower, just make all the tails pink.
If you’re having a mermaid birthday party for your daughter, these individual mermaid ice cream treats would be a fun, and unexpected, addition. I’m sure the girls attending would go crazy, not to mention they are pretty impressive. No one needs to know how easy they are.
I used store bought ice cream in the interest of time and convenience. But if you like to make homemade ice cream, Cooking with Carlee has a delicious vanilla called Mimi’s vanilla ice cream. It’s made in an ice cream maker so you’ll need to plan to make it. Of course you can use other flavors, including my nutty cookies and cream ice cream. Leave out the nuts if there are allergy concerns.
Tips for Making the Mermaid Tails:
- Make more than you think you’ll need. Some may break when you remove them from the mold.
- Melt the candy melts in a disposable Wilton decorating bag in the microwave. Knead with your hand to melt the last bits.
- Pipe into the mermaid tail mold. Using a tooth pick fill in the mold with the candy melts.
- GENTLY tap mold on counter to release air bubbles.
- Make the mermaid tails in advance and store in an airtight container. I made them a week before I made the ice cream cups.
Tips for Making Mermaid Swirl Whipped Cream:
- Chill the bowl, stainless steel is best, and beaters before whipping the heavy cream. Why? Well, it’s a bit scientific to get into here but, in a nutshell, it whips better and will stay set longer.
- Use Dixie Crystals powdered sugar to sweeten the whipped cream. Granulated sugar can result in a grainy texture since it won’t melt. Do this to taste. Using powdered sugar also stabilizes it better.
- Add the powdered sugar as you begin to beat the cream.
- Tint the cream as you begin to whip the cream so the color is evenly distributed. Otherwise you may have streaks.
- A hand mixer or stand mixer work best but it’s not impossible to whip cream by hand, just tiring.
- Don’t over beat the cream. You will end up with butter. Very pretty, colored butter.
It's good to have extra mermaid tails in the event any break. Store extras in airtight container. As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
It's good to have extra mermaid tails in the event any break. Store extras in airtight container.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Check out the amazing #SummerDessertWeek recipes from our bloggers today!
- Circus Animal Cookie Ice Cream from Fake Ginger
- No Churn Banana Pudding Ice Cream from Nik Snacks
- Butterscotch Ice Cream from Pastry Chef Online
- Individual Mermaid Ice Cream Treats from Family Around the Table
Pies of Summer:
- Creamy Peach Pie Delight from Who Needs A Cape?
- Key Lime Coconut Pie from Doughmesstic
- Frozen Strawberry Yogurt Pie from Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Mini Fresh Strawberry Pies from Cheese Curds in Paradise
- Cherry Limeade Icebox Pie from Sweet Beginnings
Sweet Summertime Cakes and Cupcakes:
- Coconut Custard Almond Cake from The Food Hunter’s Guide to Cuisine
- Strawberry Ice Cream Cake from The Beard and The Baker
- Fiesta Lime Cupcakes from My Baking Heart
- Nana’s Strawberry Shortcake Cake from Daily Dish Recipes
- Ice Cream Cone Drip Cake from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Summer Berries Pavlova Cake from Home Sweet Homestead
- Buttermilk Chocolate Cake from Back To My Southern Roots
- Peanut Butter and Chocolate Charlotte A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Mermaid Layer Cake from Love and Confections
- Vanilla Icebox Cake from Books n’ Cooks
- Peach-Basil Coffee Cake from The Spiffy Cookie
- Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes from Cookaholic Wife
- The Perfect Vanilla Cupcake from Our Good Life
No Bake Treats:
- No Bake Lemon Chiffon Dessert from Miss in the Kitchen
- Pineapple Pretzel Fluff Salad from 4 Sons R Us
- Easy Raspberry Cream Cheese Dessert from Blogghetti
- No Bake Strawberry Cheesecake from Everyday Eileen
- Strawberry Pretzel Salad Dessert from Creative Southern Home
- No Bake Berry Cheesecake from Desserts Required
- Sea Shell Beach Cakesicles from Big Bear’s Wife
- Mermaid Splash Cookies from The Domestic Kitchen
- Blueberry Crumble Cheesecake from A Blender Mom
- Blueberry Lemon Cheesecake from Eat Move Make
- Caramel Sticky Pudding Cake from Shockingly Delicious
- Blackberry Roly Poly from Nancie’s Table
- Strawberry Monkey Bread from The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Raspberry Custard Bars with Almond from My Sweet Zepol
- Caramel Corn Cheesecake from Sweet ReciPEAs
- Blackberry Cheesecake with Blackberry Compote from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Easy Mini Fruit Pizzas from Jen Around the World
- Sunflower Cookies from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Orange Creamsicle Chip Cookies from Palatable Pastime
- Viennese Whirls from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Mason Jar Caramel Banana Pudding from For the Love of Food
Welcome to the 3rd Annual #SummerDessertWeek event hosted by Angie from Big Bear’s Wife. There are 45 incredible bloggers participating in this year’s #SummerDessertWeek event! Thanks to those bloggers, we have over 168 summer time sweet treat recipes being shared this week!