It’s easy and convenient to just pick up a bag of tortilla chips at the store but once you make homemade tortilla chips, you’ll rarely purchase store-bought again.
Pin Homemade Tortilla Chips to make later.
All you need for this recipe is 3 ingredients plus a pastry brush, a small bowl, a baking sheet, and an oven.
I have to be honest, I’ve never used corn tortillas before and when I took them out of the package I was skeptical. They are very rubbery but I forged ahead.
I brushed them with a neutral oil (the oil makes the salt stick), cut them into wedges, salted them, and put them on a baking sheet ready for the oven.
If you’re trying to watch your salt intake, homemade tortilla chips allow you to add as little or as much salt as you like. I salted only one side of the tortillas and I thought it was the perfect amount.
Should I use corn tortillas or flour tortillas to make homemade tortilla chips?
Honestly, you can use either but I prefer the flavor of the corn. I find the flour to be very bland. By using the corn variety, they are gluten-free.
This recipe is easily adaptable. You can make as many or as few chips as you need. The only thing you need to be sure of is to put them in a single layer on the baking sheet.
If you are using more than one baking sheet, you need to rotate them while baking. Do so halfway though.
What can I serve with Homemade Tortilla Chips?
- Baked Onion Dip – A nice change from other types of onion dips
- The Best Homemade Queso – an easy recipe that saves you money
- Mango Salsa – perfect for summer
- Guacamole – a traditional dipper with tortilla chips
- Pico de Gallo – an authentic recipe
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Saves money – Tortillas are often on sale plus it’s a great way to use up any you have.
- Controls Salt – Use just as much as you’d like.
- Season with what you want – Change the flavor by adding other seasonings (see below)
- These homemade tortilla chips are baked, making them healthier.
Tips and Tricks
- When cutting the tortillas into triangles, stack them to make quick work of the task.
- Try different seasonings such as cinnamon sugar, Tajin Seasoning, seasoned salt, and the possibilities are endless.
- Store the chips in a covered container for up to 2 days.
How to Make Homemade Tortilla Chips
Serve homemade tortilla chips with a variety of dips including salsa, guacamole and onion dip.
- 5- 6-inch corn tortillas (I used the white variety)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Fine sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Brush both sides of the tortillas with vegetable oil.
- Stack the tortillas and, using a sharp knife, cut the pile into eight equal wedges to make chips.
- Lay the chips out in a single layer on a large baking sheet and season with sea salt.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. until golden brown and crisp, about 12 to 13 minutes until they just start to turn brown.
- Serve with your favorite dips such as guacamole or salsa.
Rebekah R Hills
Thursday 25th of February 2021
Fresh chips are such a tasty treat!
Wednesday 24th of February 2021
I always have corn and flour tortillas in my freezer. This will be a great recipe to have on hand to save me a trip to the store for chips. Thanks
Colleen - Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck
Wednesday 24th of February 2021
This makes me want to have Tortilla Chip Wednesday!!! So yummy...especially when they are warm!