The start of the 52 week challenge begins with Hershey Bar Cake. I’ve had this recipe for a while so I made it for my sister-in-law’s recent visit to celebrate her birthday. First, can you say rich? This cake is rich, rich, rich. 12 Hershey bars, Hershey syrup and 2 sticks of butter to taunt you with a few ingredients! For me, this is definitely a special occasion cake. Definitely dense but delicious. This recipe was published in the Tampa Bay (FL) Times (formerly The St. Petersburg Times) a couple of years ago in an article about a local, now closed, restaurant, Butler’s BBQ. The original recipe called for 1 cup pecans but I omitted them because my oldest son has braces and nuts are on the “do not eat list”. I’ve listed them as optional in the ingredient list, in the event there are allergy concerns too. When I melted the chocolate I just broke up the bars into a heavy saucepan and melted over low heat, stirring often. Don’t walk away, keep an eye on the pan. Tip: When melting chocolate use a rubber spatula. Wooden spoons can harbor moisture which will seize your chocolate. When chocolate seizes, there’s no recovering it. You must start over!
Let’s talk about temperature. Usually cakes are baked at 350 degrees F. This recipe bakes at 300 degrees F. Oven’s are different so I checked the cake after one hour and it definitely took the full hour and a half. My advice is to check it early so it doesn’t over bake or burn.
- 6 regular (1.55 ounce) Hershey bars
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 ½ cups flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup Hershey syrup
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans, optional
- 1 can (5 ounce) evaporated milk
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 6 regular (1.55 ounce) Hershey Bars
- ¼ stick butter
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Grease and flour Bundt pan.
- Melt Hershey bars and set aside.
- Combine flour and salt in medium bowl and set aside.
- Cream butter with sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition. Dissolve baking soda in buttermilk and add to butter mixture, alternately with flour mixture. Add chocolate syrup, vanilla extract, melted chocolate bars and pecans, if using. Pour into a greased and floured Bundt pan. Bake at 300 degrees F. for 1 ½ hours.
- Cool completely and remove from pan to cake plate. Frost and serve.
- To make frosting: In a saucepan, combine evaporated milk and sugar and boil for 10 minutes. Stirring frequently so mixture doesn't burn. Remove from heat and add Hershey bars and butter. Beat with wire whisk until cool and thick enough to pour/ spread.