This fresh strawberry ice cream is made with field fresh strawberries that are bursting with flavor. Lightly sweetened it makes the perfect end to a summer meal.
Each year we try to pick strawberries when they are in season. I love using them in my fresh strawberry ice cream. This is creamy richness bursting with intense strawberry flavor but it’s not overly sweet. It’s a non-custard ice cream which means it does not require eggs. Personally, I prefer to make ice cream without eggs. I think it’s because when I first started making ice cream I was inexperienced and didn’t want to end up with scrambled eggs.
I have a Cuisinart ice cream maker that simplifies the job. During the hot summer months, I keep the freezer bowl in my freezer so I can make ice cream any time. On the day we made this batch, my boys actually did all the work. As they are getting older, I give them more responsibility in the kitchen so they can learn to cook. It’s really fun to watch them together.
This fresh strawberry ice cream would also be a great base for a milkshake, to top a slice of Mom’s Southwest Georgia Pound Cake or make a sundae with other favorite flavors. Ice cream sandwiches with this ice cream. Use chocolate chip cookies or sugar cookies. Top one cookie with the strawberry ice cream and put a second cookie on top. Roll sides in nuts or sprinkles.
Tips to making Fresh Strawberry Ice Cream:
- Use fresh, plump strawberries that are glossy, not dull.
- Use Dixie Crystals confectioners’ sugar. Why confectioners’? Because granulated will give the ice cream a grainy texture. Confectioners’ sugar is finer, incorporates easily and I can always count on Dixie Crystals to give great results.
- Start with a cup of confectioners’ sugar. You may not need more. Whether or not you do will depend on how sweet the berries are. This particular time I used about one and a quarter cups of confectioners’ sugar.
- Don’t use frozen strawberries. Trust me on this one, I’ve tried and it just doesn’t set up well.
Fresh strawberries are a favorite ingredient of mine. Fresh strawberry lemonade and strawberry crumble are just two other recipes my family enjoys. If you’ve never had Florida strawberries, they are sweet and delicious and available during the winter months. Produce is always better when it’s grown closer to where you live, for so many reasons. I always like to buy local when I can.
- 4 cups strawberries, hulled
- Juice of half a lemon, or to taste
- 1 to 1 ½ cups sifted powdered sugar, I used Dixie Crystals, to taste
- 1 ¼ cups heavy cream
- Puree strawberries in a blender or food processor, then turn them into a bowl and season with the lemon juice and sugar to taste.
- Stir in the cream. Refrigerate 1 hour.
- Freeze churn, according to your manufacturer's instructions, until the ice cream is ready to serve. Freeze if desired before serving.
- Store any leftover, covered, in the freezer.
Variations: Add ½ cup mini chocolate chips or add ½ cup chopped pecans.
- No Churn Chocolate Dipped Waffle Cone Ice Cream from Big Bear’s Wife
- Cotton Candy Ice Cream from Jen Around the World
- Brownie Bottom Neapolitan Ice Cream Cake from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Strawberry Ice Cream from Family Around the Table
- S’Mores Popsicles from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Glazed Donut Strawberry Shortcake Boozy Milkshake from Sweet ReciPEAS
- No-Churn Caramel Fudge Crunch Ice Cream from Palatable Pastime
Sweet Summertime Cakes and Cupcakes:
- Blueberry Lemon Cupcakes from Daily Dish Recipes
- Whipping Cream Pound Cake from Pastry Chef Online
- Summer Berry Cupcakes with Lemon Icing from Nancie’s Table
- Blueberry Lemonade Mermaid Cupcakes from The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Lemon Popsicle Cupcakes from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Orange Creamsicle Cupcakes from 4 Sons R Us
- Lemon Blueberry Cake from Back To My Southern Roots
- Peach Pie Scones with Maple Glaze from Sweet Beginnings
- Lemon Lime Cheesecake from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Blackberry Crumble Bars from Creative Southern Home
- Creamsicle Cake Bars from My Sweet Zepol
- Orange Cream Dipped Cookies from Cookaholic Wife
- Rock Candy from The Domestic Kitchen
- Bomb Pop Jello Shots from Cheese Curd In Paradise