As the temperatures cool off, make up a batch of these easy Peppermint Cake Mix Christmas Cookies and get cozy in front of a fire with cookies and hot chocolate.
They start with a cake mix for convenience and ease. These small cookies are big on flavor with the peppermint being the star.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Cake mix peppermint cookies are super easy.
- With red and green M&M candies and sprinkles they are very festive.
- They start with a cake mix.
- Just five ingredients.
- They look great on a cookie plate, holiday cookie platter, or dessert table during the Christmas season.
- Peppermint Cake Mix Christmas Cookies are a great option for a cookie exchange.
The magic begins with a simple cake mix, eliminating the need for measuring multiple ingredients and dirtying lots of dishes. Clean up is a breeze!
- White Boxed Cake Mix
- Large Eggs, at room temperature
- Vegetable Oil
- Mint M&Ms Candy Pieces
- Christmas Sprinkles
Can I use other cake mixes instead of a white cake mix?
The short answer is yes. This easy recipe could be made with either a yellow cake mix or a devil’s food cake mix. Chocolate lovers would certainly enjoy a peppermint chocolate cake mix cookies recipe.
Experiment with different add-ins too, like white chocolate chips or a drizzle of melted dark chocolate chips over the cookies.
Pro Tips for this Recipe
- Use a cookie scoop to get all the cookies the same size. They will bake more evenly too.
- Line your cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat to avoid burning the bottoms of the cookies.
- Do not skip chilling the cookie dough.
- Once you scoop the dough onto the cookie sheet, place one or two more mint candies on top of each cookie. They will look pretty once they bake.
- Add a few extra sprinkles on top of the cookies before baking too.
- Don’t fret, the candies will bleed. Not much but they will.
- If you’re packing peppermint cookies in a gift tin with other types of cookies, put the peppermint once in a separate cellophane bag so the flavors don’t mix.
How do you store Peppermint Cake Mix Christmas Cookies?
This quickly became one of my son’s favorite recipes so the cookies did not last long. Store them in an airtight container for about four days.
How do you serve peppermint cookies?
These peppermint cake mix cookies are a delicious cookie that is the perfect addition to a Christmas time cookie tray. A nice cold glass of milk, a mug of hot cocoa, or a cup of coffee all work with these cookies.
I can also report that these cookies ship well. I send them in a package to my boys who are in college out of state and they arrived in perfect condition. My youngest even texted saying, “MOM! These cookies are the best”!
Cookies for a Cause
I’m happy to share these peppermint cake mix Christmas cookies for a great cause – Cookies for Kids’ Cancer™. I’ve partnered with my blogger friend Erin from The Speckled Palate, who has organized this Sweetest Season Cookie Exchange among food bloggers.
About Cookies for Kids’ Cancer™
Cookies for Kids’ Cancer™ is a recognized 501(c)3 non-profit organization dedicated to funding research for new, innovative, and less-toxic treatments for childhood cancer. Since 2008, Cookies for Kids’ Cancer™ has granted nearly $18 million to pediatric cancer research in the form of 100+ research grants to leading pediatric cancer centers across the country. From these grants have stemmed 35+ treatments available to kids battling cancer today. If you want to learn more head to their website.
One cool thing: Cookies for Kids’ Cancer™ is in a matching window with the folks at OXO, who will be matching every dollar raised through the end of 2023 up to $100,000. So whatever money is raised will automatically double!
More Easy Cookie Recipes
If you’re like me and sometimes need a quick or last-minute cookie, try chocolate chip dried cranberry cookies, chocolate overload cookies, or Christmas cookie bars. You can never have too many easy cookie recipes!
More Peppermint Cookie Recipes
If peppermint is your jam, in addition to these peppermint cake mix Christmas cookies, you also need to try chocolate peppermint pattie cookies, peppermint crinkle cookies, or double chocolate peppermint cookies.
Did you make this recipe? If so, please leave a 5-star review on the recipe card below.
Peppermint Cake Mix Christmas Cookies
- 1 15.25 ounce White Cake Mix I used Duncan Hines
- 2 large Eggs
- ½ cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 9.2 ounce Bag Holiday Mint M&Ms
- ¼ cup Christmas Jimmies (Sprinkles)
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the cake mix, eggs, and vegetable oil. Mix on medium until ingredients are well combined.
- Using a rubber spatula stir in the mint M&Ms and the Christmas sprinkles until well distributed in the cookie dough. Chill the dough in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour and up to 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350℉. Line baking sheets with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop dough and drop it onto prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until the edges begin to turn golden.
- Remove from the oven and cool on the cookie sheet for 2 minutes before using a cookie spatula to move them to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.