Is dinner complete if you don’t have dinner rolls? Not in my house! These Cheddar dinner rolls will complete any meal.
Pin these homemade Cheddar dinner rolls for later.
My family loves to have some sort of bread with dinner like garlic toast, hard rolls or soft dinner rolls like these Cheddar dinner rolls. There are a lot of good things about this recipe. No proofing of the yeast, very little kneading, short rise times and bakes up pretty quickly too. Start to finish about an hour of your time.
To be honest, I used to be afraid of yeast. Until I tried Red Star Platinum Yeast. I’ve used it a couple of times now and I’ve had perfect results. I’d really like to think it’s my skill but I’m more convinced it’s the yeast.
After mixing the dough, forming the rolls and placing them in the 9-inch round pan I thought they needed something. I grated some additional Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar and sprinkled it on top. Exactly what it needed. What I love about Cabot is how well it melts. I learned a long time ago to grate my own cheese. Pre-shredded cheese contains an anti-caking agent which prevents lumps from forming or the shreds from sticking together. It also prevents it from melting well so that’s why I grate my own.
Cheddar Dinner Rolls
Cheddar dinner rolls are a great addition to any meal.
- 2 to 2-½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons Dixie Crystals sugar
- 1 package (¼ ounce) Red Star Premium Yeast
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup warm water (120° to 130°)
- 2 tablespoons plus 4 teaspoons butter, melted, divided
- ¾ cup Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- In a large bowl, combine 1-½ cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. Add water and 2 tablespoons butter; beat on medium speed for 3 minutes or until smooth. Stir in cheese and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 4-6 minutes. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Divide into 13 pieces. Shape each into a ball. Place in a greased 9-in. round baking pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Bake rolls 15 - 20 minutes or until lightly browned, sprinkling a bit of shredded cheese over the top just before they are ready to come out of the oven. Brush remaining melted butter over rolls. Remove from pan to wire rack.
Sunday 12th of November 2017
Fresh bread is one of life's best pleasures. Add cheese and we are really in luck! Thanks for sharing with us at Celebrate 365!
Thursday 25th of May 2017
That red star yeast is the bomb....I love cheese bread and these rolls sound amazing, Ellen.
Sunday 14th of May 2017
Yes please! I'm all about anything topped with cheese! Especially if it's Cabot cheese.