Last weekend we had dinner at a great steak house in Tampa and no it wasn’t THAT steak house. I ordered a baked potato, as I usually do when I have steak, but my husband ordered a bacon and cheddar mashed potato dish. When our server brought my husband’s side I immediately regretted my choice. They were creamy and delicious. So I prodded our server for clues as to what was in the dish. All the way home from the restaurant, those potatoes were all I could talk about so I just knew I had to recreate them at home.
Lo and behold, I had all the ingredients. So I set to making them and, according to my husband and youngest son – they were a hit!
Bacon and Cheddar Smashed Red Potatoes
- 6 - 8 medium red potatoes washed
- 4 cloves garlic peeled but whole
- 1 1/2 sticks butter melted
- 6 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1/3 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 4 tablespoons half and half
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a large pot of water boil red potatoes and garlic until tender. Drain.
- In a large bowl, place potatoes and garlic. Mash with hand masher. Add butter, sour cream and half and half. Mash until combined, leaving some potato chunks.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Place prepared potatoes into a 3 quart baking dish and smooth out evenly. Sprinkle shredded Cheddar cheese on top of potatoes and sprinkle with bacon.
- Place in 300 degree oven for 10 - 15 minutes until cheese is melted and potatoes are warmed.