Conference attendees started the weekend with a welcome reception hosted by CK Mondavi and Family wines. Who doesn’t enjoy mingling with a great glass of wine. I enjoyed my favorite from their wine portfolio, the Scarlet 5, while catching up with old friends and perusing cookbooks at the Idaho Potato cookbook exchange. I came home with a cookbook I’m excited to peruse, Carolina Cooking. There were so many great books from which to choose.
Then it was on to the Taste of Rosen Shingle Creek which is a sampling of goodies from each of the various eateries at the hotel. There was sushi, Mexican bites and Italian delights, among others. I’d have to say one of the best bites of the conference was the fried lasagna. Yep…FRIED lasagna. Not sure there’s much more to say about that. The beignets with strawberries and cream were warm and sweet but not too sweet. After the tasting, it was off to bed to rest for what promised to be a great Saturday.
What a complete and total accomplishment to organize a conference of this magnitude. Dinner was Ah-Mazing! sponsored by Certified Angus Beef. The short ribs were perfectly prepared! Saturday night ended with a 50’s style sock hop hosted by Florida Strawberry Growers Association.
Sunday was a full day of sessions, more food and the always fun #Hashed competition sponsored by Wish Farms, for whom I was the brand ambassador. We named our team The Boozy Broads and had a lot of fun creating the drink I share here. We had fresh Wish Farms blackberries, raspberries, strawberries and blueberries to use along with mixers, oranges and a selection of CK Mondavi and Family Wines. We worked well together, and although we didn’t win, we were proud of our creation.
Blackberry Wine Sparkler
Light and festive, this blackberry wine sparkler is perfect for any occasion.
- ½ cup blackberry puree, strained to remove seeds
- 1 cup CK Mondavi Pinot Grigio
- 10 ounces tonic water
- 2 strawberries, hulled and sliced
- Orange juice for dipping glass rims, freshly squeezed is best
- Granulated sugar for rimming glass
- Orange slices for garnish
- Champagne saucer glasses
- In a small plate place orange juice. In a separate small place place granulated sugar. Dip each champagne saucer in juice first then in sugar, cleaning any juice that drips. Set aside.
- In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, combine blackberry puree and CK Mondavi Pinot Grigio. Shake to combine. Pour evenly into 4 glasses, leaving enough room to top off with tonic water. Once topped with tonic water, add one or two sliced strawberries to the glass and garnish glass with orange slice.
- Serve immediately.
Liz @ Books n' Cooks
Saturday 1st of July 2017
This was my first year attending the conference and it was absolutely awesome. I learned so much and met so many wonderful people! Can't wait to attend again!
Tuesday 20th of June 2017
That blackberry drink sounds great! I wish I could have gone to the Food & Wine conference but maybe next year. At least I can hear all about it in your post! Sounds both fun and informative.
Saturday 10th of June 2017
That sparkler looks amazing!! The conference was the absolute best! It was wonderful meeting you and all my fellow Sunday Supper friends!
Jersey Girl Cooks
Friday 9th of June 2017
Such a great time and nice to meet you. Very pretty drink!
Friday 9th of June 2017
So nice to meet you too!
Dorothy at Shockingly Delicious
Wednesday 7th of June 2017
Going to a conference AND getting to drink why sounds too good to be true!