If you’re a fan of the popular seven layer bars, also known as Hello Dolly Bars or magic cookie bars, you’ll love this tart version. White Chocolate Cranberry Coconut Bars are a kicked up version for the holidays or any special occasion.
Tart cranberries, sweet coconut, white chocolate, pecans, and a buttery shortbread crust make this magic cookie bar a delectible treat.
I have such a love affair with magic cookie bars that I really can’t make them often because I’ll eat the whole pan.
And that’s no good for anyone! I’ve only made my Magic Coconut Bars a handful of times for that reason!
Ingredients for White Chocolate Cranberry Coconut Bars
With the exception of the shortbread cookies, you may have everything you need to make this sweet treat.
- Walker’s Shortbread Finger Cookies
- White Chocolate Chips
- Dried Cranberries
- Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Sweetened Shredded Coconut
- Pecan Halves or Pieces
The tartness of the dried cranberries compliment the sweetness of the coconut and the white chocolate. The shortbread cookies are buttery, though not too sweet, offering a sort of melt in your mouth feel to these bars.
Some may know these bars by other names such as 7-layer bars or Hello Dolly bars. Typically they have a graham cracker crust. It’s basically graham cracker pulverized to crumbs mixed with melted butter.
I wanted to try something different. We love shortbread and I had a package of Walker’s Shortbread Finger Cookies in my pantry. I thought they would make a perfect crust base and I was right.
This is really a great dessert that doesn’t take a whole lot of effort. It’s a great way to get kids in the kitchen to help too.
Recipe Tips and Notes:
- Make sure you use the right ingredients – you need sweetened condensed milk, not evaporated. There is a huge difference and they are not interchangeable.
- If you don’t like white chocolate, subsitute either milk, dark or bittersweet chocolate chips. All will compliment the cranberries and coconut.
- You can certainly go the traditional route and used graham cracker crumbs instead of the shortbread cookies. But trust me, the shortbread cookies take this sweet treat to the next level.
- If you don’t care for pecans, walnuts will work too.
By using white chocolate chips and the dried cranberries, you get a lovely color for this dessert. Makes them perfect for Valentine’s Day or Christmas, even July 4th.
I like to cut these in about 2-inch squares. That’s two to three bites and for the average person, is the perfect size.
This recipe is made in a 9 by 13-inch pan and similar recipes call for the pan to be lined with parchment. I do not find that necessary. You certainly can line it but I do not. They still release from the pan easily.
I used pecan halves but you could use pieces. I don’t suggest using smaller pieces.
More White Chocolate Cranberry Combinations
- Oatmeal, Cranberry, and White Chocolate Cookies
- White Chocolate Cranberry Popcorn
- Cranberry White Chocolate Cupcakes from Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks
Chocolate Recipes from my blogger friends
- Brownie Mix Cookies from Kathryn’s Kitchen Blog
- Brownie Muffins from Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Chocolate Caramels from Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies from Palatable Pastime
- Chocolate Meringue Pie from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chocolate-Covered Brownie Hearts from The Redhead Baker
- Easy Black Forest Bundt Cake from Blogghetti
- Easy Chocolate Mousse from Devour Dinner
- Easy Peanut Butter and Dark Chocolate Fudge from The Spiffy Cookie
- Easy White Chocolate Cranberry Coconut Bars from Family Around the Table
- Homemade Chocolate Syrup from Art of Natural Living
- Hot Chocolate Fudge from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Ice Cream Cake Roll from An Affair from the Heart
- Icebox Mocha Cake from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Orange Curd Brownies from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Pork Tenderloin with Chocolate Molasses Gravy from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Red Velvet Pancakes from That Recipe
- Starbucks White Hot Chocolate from The Fresh Cooky
- Valentine Treat Board from Magical Ingredients
- White Chocolate Blondies from Shockingly Delicious
White Chocolate Coconut Cranberry Bars Recipe
White Chocolate Coconut Cranberry Bars Recipe
- 1 package 5.3 ounces Walker’s Shortbread Finger Cookies, crushed into fine crumbs
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1 1/2 cups white chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups dried cranberries
- 1 can 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup pecan halves
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan and set it aside.
- Mix shortbread crumbs and melted butter until crumbly. Press the mixture onto the bottom of the prepared pan.
- In a large bowl, mix remaining ingredients; spread gently over the crust.
- Bake until edges are golden brown, 25-28 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack. Cut into bars.