Whipped Honey Ricotta is a popular appetizer that’s super easy to make. With just 5 ingredients you can have a great appetizer ready for an impromptu party or to take to a potluck gathering.
The bright flavors of lemon and thyme shine in this recipe along with the citrus notes in the honey.
This post may contain affiliate links. I earn a nominal commission if products are purchased through links at no additional charge to you.
What ingredients do I need for whipped honey ricotta?
With just a handful of ingredients and less than 10 minutes of your time, you can have a quick and delicious appetizer ready for an impromptu gathering.
- Whole Milk Ricotta Cheese – Don’t use skim milk ricotta cheese. This honey whipped ricotta is a bit thin but would be thinner if you didn’t use whole milk ricotta.
- Extra-Virgin Olive Oil – Olive oil adds great flavor over a neutral oil like canola.
- Sea Salt – Table salt is a great substitute.
- Orange Blossom Honey – I used AdagioBees orange blossom honey. It’s a favorite honey that’s full of citrus notes.
- Fresh Thyme Leaves – A great way to use up your garden’s bounty. I don’t recommend dried.
- Lemon Zest and Juice – In addition to flavor, lemon brightens up the recipe.
Roll the lemon on the counter with a bit of pressure. It will maximize the amount of juice you get from it.
What can I serve with whipped ricotta with honey?
I’ve found that pita chips or my homemade tortilla chips are the most popular dippers. Sliced pita bread is also a great dipper as are vegetables such as cucumber rounds, carrot and celery sticks, and bell pepper strips.
While whipped honey ricotta is delicious as a dip on its own, it would also be a unique addition to a charcuterie board.
Tips and Substitutions
The orange blossom honey I used really compliments the lemon and thyme, however, you could also try this recipe with Tupelo honey, which is mildly floral and slightly fruity.
Hot honey would also be another honey variety to use in this whipped ricotta recipe. Add some hot honey whipped ricotta to a charcuterie board for a different flavor. Try whatever honey you like and you could wind up with a plethora of whipped honey recipes in your repertoire.
As I mentioned in the ingredient list above, use only whole milk ricotta.
How do you make whipped ricotta?
I used a food processor to make whipped honey ricotta but a hand mixer would work too. You just have to be very careful not to make the mixture too runny.
Clean up is easy with this whipped honey ricotta recipe because all of the ingredients go into the bowl of the food processor at the same time.
Did you make this recipe? If so, please leave a 5-star review on the recipe card below.
Whipped Honey Ricotta
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon orange blossom honey
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- Black pepper to taste
- Crackers, vegetables, pita chips, or crostini for serving
- In the bowl of a food processor add the ricotta, olive oil, sea salt, orange blossom honey, thyme, and lemon zest. Whip until smooth and fluffy but do not over-process.
- Taste the mixture and adjust seasonings, adding more if desired.
- Transfer to a serving bowl, drizzle with a small amount of olive oil, and sprinkle with some thyme leaves and lemon zest. Give a few turns of cracked black pepper over the top too.