Keep the shenanigans alive with these fun, festive, and magical St Patrick’s Day Hot Cocoa Bombs. Kids of all ages will love watching the magic happen!
These hot chocolate bombs not only look good, but they also taste good. Made with delicious white chocolate, green candy melts, and arctic white hot chocolate they aren’t too sweet.
How do you keep the green hot chocolate from turning a muddy color?
The first key to keeping a vibrant green color for the hot chocolate is to use white hot chocolate. Traditional milk hot chocolate powder or other darker powder will muddy the green color.
Using only green candy melts without white chocolate will also muddy the color. The white helps to mute the green and makes it taste better. If you’ve ever had anything made with just candy melts, the flavor is unlike anything else. They are a bit blah, for lack of a better word.
Including some good white chocolate, I like using Ghirardelli white chips because they melt beautifully, adds great flavor.
St Patrick’s Day Hot Cocoa Bombs are perfect for gift giving. I sent one to my nephew for his birthday which happens to be on St. Patrick’s Day.
Easily wrap them up to include in a gift bag or print out the instructions below on cardstock and tie them to the cellophane bag.
Use some decorative scissors to cut out the tag, punch a hole in the top corner and attach it to the gift bag. This way the recipient knows how to make the holiday hot cocoa.
When using one of the cocoa bombs to make a cup of hot chocolate there are a couple of things to keep in mind.
Use a mug large enough for the sphere. The glass mug I used is the perfect size. It’s a 15-ounce mug but don’t use 15 ounces of milk, use only 10 ounces. If you use more your mug will overflow.
Heat the milk to scalding over medium heat on the stovetop. This means when small bubbles begin to form around the edge of the pan. Remove the milk from the heat and pour over the chocolate sphere.
If you like holiday theme hot chocolate bombs, have a look at these Valentine hot chocolate bombs.
- 1 (11 ounces) package Ghirardelli classic white chips
- ¼ cup green candy melts, I use Wilton
- 4 tablespoons of white hot chocolate powder, divided
- 16 Lucky Charms Marshmallows, regular, not dehydrated
- White Nonpareils Sprinkles
- 10 ounces hot milk for serving each
- Clean and thoroughly dry the silicone molds, Set aside.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, melt the green candy melts according to package directions. Using the back of a spoon randomly smear thin layer strokes of candy melts in one of the spheres.
- Repeat in 7 more spheres. You will have leftover candy melts but don't discard them just yet.
- Place in freezer to set, about 7-10 minutes.
- In the top of a double boiler over medium heat, melt the white chocolate chips. Once melted, spoon chocolate into the molds, using a pastry brush to coat the sphere. Don't worry that the pink and red will melt a bit. It's all good!
- Once you have each of the spheres generously coated with white chocolate, freeze until set, about 10 minutes. Once set, gently remove each sphere from the silicone molds. Try not to handle them too much.
- Warm a plate in the microwave or heat a baking sheet in the oven briefly. Take an empty sphere and gently rub the open side on the plate to melt the rim. NOTE: Do this to all the spheres before filling them, they will stick together better.
- With sphere sitting on a plate or tray, open side up, add 1 tablespoon of white hot chocolate and 4 marshmallows.
- Re-warm the plate in the microwave or baking sheet in the oven briefly. Take an empty sphere and gently rub the open side on the plate to melt the rim. Quickly and gently press onto a filled sphere and hold momentarily until set.
- Reheat the candy melt bowl if it has solidified. Stir to drizzling consistency. Drizzle over spheres and immediately sprinkle with nonpareils.
- To enjoy your St. Patrick's Day hot chocolate bomb: Place one sphere in a large mug. Pour very warm but not too hot milk over the sphere. Once the sphere has melted, stir to blend cocoa mix and melt the remaining chocolate.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Clear Coffee Mugs With Handle 15 oz, Glass Cup Drinkware
Norpro Stainless Steel Double Boiler 1.5-Quart
OXO 1.5" Natural Bristle Pastry Brush
6 Holes Half Sphere Silicone Mold For Chocolate - Round Shape, Dia: 3 inches
Nonpareils Sprinkles: White
Wilton Clear Tall Treat Bags, 4 × 9
Double Face Satin Ribbon, ⅝ Inch X 100 Yards, Emerald Green
Land O Lakes Cocoa Classic Arctic White Hot Cocoa Mix