I have never made blossom cookies before and now I’m wondering where they’ve been all my life. I’ve seen them but never had one, so I knew what they were. Classic blossoms are peanut butter in flavor but I was making these for a school party and didn’t want any nuts or nut products.
Since many people associate orange with the holidays, I decided to add a bit of orange zest to the batter for that hint of citrus. You know the orange is there but it’s not overwhelming at all. I must say that blossom cookies are a favorite for many folks. I have never made them before but have enjoyed them on occasion.
Sometimes when you mess with a classic it’s a fail. Not this time. The orange is a win. I do want to share a tip. Before you put the first batch in the oven unwrap all of the kisses. A good task for kids, by the way. When you gently press the kiss into the cookie you want it to be warm so the kiss will melt into the cookie a bit making it stick. Unwrapping the kisses is not something you want to be doing as the cookies come out of the oven.
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa
- ½ cup shortening
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 ¾ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Sugar for rolling
- 48 milk chocolate Hershey Kisses
- In a large bowl combine ½ cup sugar, brown sugar, cocoa, shortening and butter; beat until light and fluffy. Add orange peel, vanilla and egg; blend well. Add flour, baking soda and salt. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour for easier handling.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Shape dough into 1-inch balls, using a scoop, roll in sugar. Place 2 inches apart on parchment lined baking sheets.
- Bake at 375 degrees F. for 10 to 12 minutes or until set. Immediately top each cookie with a Hershey Kiss, pressing firmly so cookie gently cracks around edges. Remove fro cookie sheets to cooling racks to cool completely.
Adapted from Pillsbury Best Cookie Cookbook
- Almond Spice Christmas Wreath Cookies by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Black Forest Brownies by Palatable Pastime
- Chewy M&M Cookies by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Chocolate Orange Blossoms by Family Around the Table
- Chocolate Marshmallow Meltaways by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Gingerbread Madeleines by Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
- Greek Baklava by House of Nash Eats
- Lemon Ginger Crinkle Cookies by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Grandmas Lily’s Thumbprints by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Mocha Biscotti by Books n’ Cooks
- No-Bake Eggless Chocolate Salami by All That’s Jas
- Peppermint Meltaway Cookies by Making Miracles
- Peppermint Sandies by Corn, Beans, Pigs and Kids
- Strawberry Cake Mix Cookies by Soulfully Made
- The Old Fashioned Cookie by Making the Most of Naptime
- White Chocolate Oatmeal Raisin Cookies by The Bitter Side of Sweet