I’ve had this recipe for an overnight nutty coffee cake for many, many, many years. I’ve shared it with lots of friends throughout the years. When the make-ahead brunch event was announced this is the first recipe that came to mind.
This sweet coffee cake is moist with a delicate crumb. The powdered sugar glaze adds a depth of flavor without making it overly sweet.
The sweet nut topping sinks a bit into the batter during baking giving it a swirled appearance. It bakes in about 30 – 35 minutes so it can be on the table quickly. Serve it warm or at room temperature.
This overnight nutty coffee cake is perfect to serve on Christmas morning because, since it’s made the day before, you can bake it off while you enjoy family time and opening presents.
It is also the perfect breakfast when guests come to visit. They can wake up to the cinnamony scent of this coffee cake baking and enjoy it with their morning coffee or tea.
Overnight Nutty Coffee Cake
Overnight nutty coffee cake is perfect for any special occasion.
For the topping:
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- ¾ cup brown sugar, packed
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- ½ cup chopped nuts
For the cake:
- ⅔ cup butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
For the glaze:
- ¾ cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoon milk
- Grease a 9- by 13-inch pan and set aside. For the topping, mix together melted butter, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nuts. Set aside.
- For the cake, in a large bowl, cream together butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar. Add eggs one at a time, blending well after each. In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Add alternately with buttermilk to creamed mixture. Pour batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle batter with topping mixture. Cover and refrigerate overnight. In the morning, bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 30 to 35 minutes.
- To make the glaze:
- In a small bowl combine glaze ingredients and stir until smooth. Drizzle glaze over entire cake.
- Serve warm or room temperature.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Helene D'Souza says
Oh that looks like a delicious tasty cake! I bet the flavors will want me to have more. Dangerous little treat. =D
Bintu - Recipes From A Pantry says
Yummy! Fab to let rest overnight in the oven then pop in and cook for a freshly baked cake
susan | the wimpy vegetarian says
I would love some of this cake right now! I love it!
Luci's Morsels says
This looks so delicious and moist! I feel like this is perfectly suited for breakfast or dessert! Yummy! Thanks for sharing!
I love a good coffee cake!
The texture looks amazing, Ellen! So irresistible!
Veena Azmanov says
I have not seen an over night cake recipe is ages. I remember my mom use to make cake recipes that she kept over night before baking. They would taste so delicious! I bet this one was yum too!!
[email protected] says
The combination of nuts and brown sugar! Have me hungry!
Drooling over this!
I could go for a big piece of this cake warm with a hot cup of coffee right now!