Crisp on the outside, chewy on the inside, that’s what these Halloween M and M Chocolate Chip Cookies are plus full of chocolate goodness.
It was recently Homecoming week at our school. Both of my boys play the bagpipes and it’s a school tradition to play before kickoff. It’s a short time between the end of the school day and when the game starts so many of the pipers don’t go home. The teacher treats them to pizza for dinner and I decided to make a treat.
I had a big bag of Halloween colored M & M’s. The orange, purple and green are vibrant and festive. Cookies were a natural choice to make with them. These Halloween M and M Chocolate Cookies were a hit. But then again, aren’t M & M’s and chocolate usually a hit? Not a one was left. No surprise, really, these are teenagers after all.
Don’t be intimidated by the list of ingredients or number of steps in this recipe. There are no unusual ingredients or techniques. Once you get the cookie dough made it gets easy. Scoop, roll in mini chocolate chips and press some M&M’s into the dough balls.
I don’t recommend using regular chocolate chips. You won’t get as many on the cookie. Plus regular chocolate chips and M&M’s are about the same size. Using mini chocolate chips gives the cookie more texture.
More recipes with M&M’s:
M and M Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter softened
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet mini chocolate chips
- 1 cup M&M's
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl beat the butter and brown sugar with an electric mixer for 1 minute, or until combined.
- Add in the egg and vanilla extract, beating until well incorporated.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to wet ingredients, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Use a cookie scoop to drop dough balls onto a silicone lined baking sheet. Press mini chocolate chips and M&M's around the outside of the dough balls.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes. Allow the cookies to cool slightly on the baking sheet then move them to a cooling rack to cool completely. Store covered.