What’s better than chocolate chips and M&M’s in a cookie? These Easter M&M’s Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars are chock full of chocolate goodness.
Drop cookies take more time than bar cookies so make up a batch of these Easter M&Ms Chocolate Chip Bar Cookies. You can be enjoying them in half the time it takes to make drop cookies.
I always like to make an Easter treat for my family. This year we will be celebrating the holiday with family so I wanted to try a recipe to take for dessert that would be kid-friendly. I thought, M&M’s are kid-friendly and this cookie bar will be perfect.
This post may contain affiliate links. I earn a nominal commission if products are purchased through links at no additional charge to you.
Ingredients for Easter M&M’s Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- Butter – I prefer unsalted
- Egg – large in size
- Light Brown Sugar – dark brown will work but the taste will be different.
- Vanilla Extract – (I like Rodelle vanilla extract)
- Flour – all purpose
- Salt – regular or table salt works best.
- Easter M&M’s – you can use any colors any other time of the year.
- Chocolate Chips – we like Semi-Sweet or Milk Chocolate
Why We Love This Recipe
- It’s fun, festive, and delicious.
- It’s full of chocolate between the M&M’s and the chocolate chips.
- Use any color candies for other holidays or special occasions.
- Bar cookies are easier than drop cookies.
- You make it in an 8 x 8 square pan.
- They are always a hit when I make them.
The first time I made them I took them to a play date when my boys were younger. The kids, and Moms, LOVED them.
One Mom said they look and taste like Easter. There wasn’t a morsel left on the plate, the kids (and Moms) devoured them! A tell-tale sign of how good they are.
What’s the Best Way to Cut A Bar Cookie?
This recipe is made in an 8×8 square pan and I’ve found the easiest way to cut them is to cut them in half each way, like you’re making a plus sign. Then cut each half in half, rotate the pan, and cut each half in half.
You’ll get the most evenly sized bars doing it this way. If you want them smaller, cut each one in half, or smaller.
These bar cookies are chock full of chocolate making them a perfect treat or dessert for Easter. Make this recipe even more decadent by using the cookie bar as a base for a sundae.
Just look at the jam-packed cookie bar! Go ahead, pour a glass of milk! You know you want to.
Place a slice on a plate or in a bowl, top with your favorite flavor of ice cream, and add toppings.
Toppings could include whipped cream, caramel sauce, chocolate sauce, various Easter candies including more chocolate chips, and M&M’s of course. Wouldn’t that be scrumptious?!
Kids of all ages are certain to love these cookie bars.
- Line the baking pan with aluminum foil. That way you can just lift them out of the pan for easy cutting. Plus this keeps you from scratching your pan with a knife when you cut them.
- Press the cookie dough evenly so it bakes evenly.
- Use milk chocolate or semi-sweet chips, whatever you have on hand. Both are delicious.
If you like more easy bar cookie recipes, and this one also uses M&M’s, try my Valentine Brown Sugar Bars, Strawberry Rhubarb Oat Bars, Lunch Lady Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars, or Easy Salted Caramel Cheesecake Bars.
How can I store Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars?
If they last longer than a day, store them on the counter, in a plastic container with a lid or on a plate covered with aluminum foil.
Either way, they will last 2-3 days as long as they are covered. Another option would be to place them on a cake plate and cover with a glass dome.
Did you make this recipe? If so, please leave a 5-star review on the recipe card below.
Easter M&M’s Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Easter M & M’s – I used milk chocolate
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350℉. Line an 8 x 8-inch baking pan with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter and allow to cool briefly.
- In a medium bowl place the egg, brown sugar, and vanilla. Drizzle melted butter and whisk until smooth.
- Add the flour and salt and stir until just combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and M&M’s.
- Place the batter into prepared pan and spread to edges, smoothing the top with a spatula.
- Bake at 350℉. for 25 to 30 minutes or until done. When a toothpick inserted in center has crumbs, they are done. Allow bars to cool at least 1 hour in pan before removing and cutting. Bars will firm up upon cooling.