It’s National Peanut Butter day and this peanut butter cookie post was ready for some new love. It is one of the first recipes posted on my blog way back in 2010. I did not include a photo and I did not write much copy for it. So for this event with my Festive Foodie blogger friends I have made this post better! (I hope) Be sure to check out more great recipes using peanut butter at the end of the post.
My oldest son is a very picky eater but he loves these cookies. He won’t eat anything else with peanut butter! This is a very easy cookie to make. It is also a good base recipe for some variations, which I will mention after the recipe. This is a good cookie for lunch boxes or as an after school snack. If you bake treats during the holidays, use the red and green M&M’s as an addition for a festive look.
This recipe has a bit of a history. My best friends Mom passed away many years ago. When I flew to Cincinnati for the funeral I was welcomed like family. At that point we’d been BFF’s for close to 15 years. My girlfriend and her sisters are like family to me, even to this day. My BBF and I are alike in a lot of ways. We both love 80’s music, Jimmy Buffett music, traveling and being on the go. The one way we are different is when it comes to cooking. She really doesn’t enjoy it like I do. As she and her sisters were going through some of her Mom’s things, she offered for me to take any cookbooks I wanted. Since I was flying, I only opted to take three. There were probably 50! As a thank you to the girls, I asked each one of them what their favorite cookie was. I looked through the 3 books I took to find their favorites. A peanut butter cookie is what three of the girls wanted and this was it.
Needless to say they were thrilled to receive their cookie packages. I love this cookie recipe. It’s full of peanut butter flavor and my son’s suggestions make them even better. My boys are now old enough they can make these cookies by themselves. Sometimes the fork will stick when you try to do the criss cross, so gently dip it in sugar before each press. If you love peanut butter cookies but are looking for a gluten-free version try these peanut butter truffle cookies.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine 1/2 cup sugar, brown sugar and butter; beat until light and fluffy. Add peanut butter, vanilla and egg; blend well. Add flour, baking soda and salt; mix well. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. With fork dipped in sugar, flatten balls in criss-cross pattern.
- Bake at 375 degrees F. for 6 to 9 minutes or until set and golden brown. Immediately remove from cookie sheets to wire rack to cool. Makes about 4 dozen cookies.
Now for some variations, not mentioned in the cookbook but suggested by my boys:
Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookies: Prepare dough as directed above. Stir in 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips.
Nutty Peanut Butter Cookies: Prepare dough as directed above. Stir in 1 cup chopped peanuts.
Nutty Candy Cookies: Prepare dough as directed above. Stir in 1 cup candy coated pieces, such as M&M’s. Mini M&M’s will work too.
- 3 Healthy Peanut Butter Smoothies by Bear & Bug Eats
- Chicken Satay with Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce by Everyday Eileen
- Marshmallow Peanut Butter Cookies by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Balls by The Freshman Cook
- E.T. Cookies by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Easy Peanut Butter & Chocolate Swirled Fudge by Cookaholic Wife
- Easy Peanut Butter and Banana Croissants by Jonesin’ For Taste
- Fluffernutter Macaron by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- My Family’s Favorite Peanut Butter Cookie (recipe remake) by Family Around the Table
- No Bake Peanut Butter Cup Pie by Soulfully Made
- Nutter Butter Ice Cream Cone Cookies by Amy’s Cooking Adventures
- Peanut Butter & Chocolate Chip Granola Squares by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Smoothie Bowl by Simple and Savory
- Peanut Butter Banana Overnight Oatmeal by Frugal Pantry
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Sheet Pan Pancakes by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Spread by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Peanut Butter Mocha Cupcakes by Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
- Peanut Butter Mousse Parfaits by The Redhead Baker
- Honey Peanut Butter Popcorn by The Gingered Whisk
- Peanut Butter Snowballs by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Peanut Ginger Pasta by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Thai Inspired Noodles by A Day in the Life on the Farm