With all the flavors of the popular fall and winter soup, this skillet French Onion Chicken recipe is an easy and delicious weeknight dinner. Pure comfort food any time of the year.
Pin Easy French Onion Chicken to make later
If you are like many folks, you cook a lot of chicken. It’s versatile and economical and there are so many recipes for it.
This French Onion Chicken recipe has all the flavors of the popular French onion soup. It’s a simple flavorful meal everyone will enjoy.
What Ingredients Do I Need to Make A French Onion Chicken Recipe?
Don’t be intimidated by the ingredient list. They are all common ingredients that are readily available.
- Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts – you can use thighs if you prefer dark meat
- Beef Broth
- Canola Oil
- Provolone Cheese
- Swiss Cheese
- Parsley for garnish
To make this chicken recipe you’ll need an oven-safe skillet. I like using my 12-inch cast iron skillet.
What can I serve with French Onion Chicken?
My family loves any type of rice with this protien-rich chicken dish. On busy nights, because this dish is very hands-on, I’ll serve packaged rice. It’s an easy side.
I also like to serve a garden salad or these easy green beans with shallots.
What wine should I serve with French Onion Chicken?
This chicken in a delicious onion gravy gives this French Onion Chicken recipe lots of flavor. It has buttery tones so a Chardonnay would be lovely to serve with it. If you prefer red wine, go with a light Pinot Noir.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- It’s pure comfort food.
- It’s full of flavor and easy to make.
- Has all the flavors of French onion soup.
- Perfect for dinner any night of the week or to serve when friends comes to visit.
- So much cheese!
- It’s a one-pan French onion chicken recipe. Fewer dishes!
Pro Tips and Substitutions
The only substitutions I can suggest are if you are out of cornstarch, use an equal amount of flour. You can also use boneless skinless chicken thighs instead of the chicken breasts but adjust the cooking time since they are smaller.
It is important to pound the chicken breasts to a uniform thickness so they cook evenly.
My pro tip is you really need to use both Swiss and Provolone kinds of cheese. The second time I did my recipe testing, I couldn’t get Swiss cheese. The supermarket was out of stock.
While the meal was still delicious, the flavor was totally different. The Swiss adds another layer of flavor that you miss if you don’t use it.
More Tasty Chicken Recipes
In addition to this French onion chicken recipe here are more easy chicken ideas.
- Easy Dutch Oven Chicken and Vegetables – An easy recipe perfect for Sunday dinner.
- Chicken Fried Chicken with Apple Cider Gravy – Another flavorful fall recipe.
- Spicey Cajun Griddle Chicken Tacos – A new idea for Taco Tuesday.
- Pecan Chicken – Lots of flavor and texture.
Easy French Onion Chicken Recipe
Chicken in a delicious onion gravy gives this French Onion Chicken lots of flavor.
- 2 large sweet onions, sliced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 (14-ounce) can beef broth
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, flattened to a uniform size
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1-2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 ½ tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 slices Provolone cheese
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- Parsley to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. degrees.
- Heat a cast iron or another oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Add butter to skillet and let melt. Add the sliced onions and stir around to coat with butter. Continue to cook, stirring often, for about 15 minutes or until the onions are translucent and softened.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle chicken breasts with olive oil, salt, pepper, and thyme. Once onions are done cooking, remove onions from the skillet and set them aside. Place chicken breasts in a pan and cook for 5 minutes per side.
- Remove chicken from skillet and place on a plate. Cover with a paper towel to keep warm. Return the onions to the skillet and sprinkle the cornstarch over the onions. Stir.
- Pour in beef broth and use a whisk to stir the mixture and make sure the cornstarch is completely dissolved.
- Once the sauce is thickened, add the chicken back to the skillet and spoon sauce all over the chicken. Top one slice of provolone cheese and one slice of Swiss cheese over each chicken breast.
- Transfer the oven-safe skillet to the preheated oven and cook for 8-10 minutes, or until the cheeses are melted and the chicken is cooked through. Spoon sauce and onions over the chicken. Garnish with chopped parsley.
- You can substitute flour for cornstarch.
Welcome to the fourth annual #FallFlavors! We have 21 bloggers sharing over SIXTY recipes using fall ingredients like squash, apples, maple, pecans, and many more. Follow #FallFlavors to see all the delicious recipes on social media.
Monday #FallFlavor Recipes
- Apple Cider Mule from Art of Natural Living
- Caramel Apple Sangria from Our Crafty Cocktails
- Jack Rose Cocktail from Books n’ Cooks
- Apple Cider Donuts from Sweet Beginnings
- Pumpkin Banana Muffins from Hostess At Heart
Salads, Soups, and Sides
- Apple Cranberry Spinach Salad from Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Chipotle Butternut Squash Mash from A Little Fish in the Kitchen
- Cider Baked Squash from Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Loaded Cauliflower Casserole from Blogghetti
- Black Pepper Pork Tenderloin with Fig Preserves from The Spiffy Cookie
- Easy French Onion Chicken Recipe from Family Around The Table
- Maple Bacon Smoked Sausage from Palatable Pastime
- Air Fryer Apple Crisp from Devour Dinner
- Air Fryer Apple Pie Egg Rolls from An Affair from the Heart
- Caramel Apple Rice Krispies Treats from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Maple Syrup Pancake Cookies from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies from Best Cookie Recipes
- Pumpkin Dump Cake Recipe from Our Crafty Mom
- Pumpkin Rabdi from Magical Ingredients
- Pumpkin Whoopie Pies from Jen Around the World
Follow the Favorite Fall Recipes Facebook group and follow the Favorite Fall Flavors Pinterest board for more fall inspiration!
I’ve made something very similar to this with pork chops, but now I’ve got to try it with chicken and Swiss cheese! This will be such a comforting meal…now we just need the chilly weather to go with it!! 🙂