When I received this interesting Fillables pan to try and review I was intrigued. The pictures on the box look so pretty and the possibilities are infinite! I really had trouble deciding what to make. Rummaging through my pantry and freezer, plus looking for inspiration online I decided to recreate one of my favorite flavor combinations chocolate and Key lime. When I told a friend about the flavors she was skeptical and asked if I’d ever had it. I have because Godiva makes a dark chocolate Key lime truffle, that if you’ve never had it, will rock your world! Of course, you have to like Key lime.
I had 2 cake mixes and frozen real Key lime juice on hand so I thought I’d give it a try. I set off to find a filling recipe and wound up at the Taste of Home website. The original recipe was for Key lime mousse cups but I decided to use it as the filling. Well, it was a complete success. I took it to a meeting at school and there was not a morsel left. Many of my “taste testers” commented that the filling wasn’t too sweet, which they liked. So, with it also being Taste of Home Tuesday, be sure to check out the other links below for more great recipes.
There really isn’t anything I don’t like about this Fillables pan. It’s easy to store, easy to use, makes an impressive cake, and has limitless flavor combination possibilities. Plus, if you cut it between the dips in the pan, you get a good size portion with the filling in the middle. Some ideas are yellow cake with chocolate frosting, chocolate cake with buttercream, any flavor with fruit, or any type of candy such as chocolate chips, M&M’s, or even, jelly beans as a fun surprise for Easter. There are a variety of shapes available including cupcake cones, 9 x 13-inch rectangle pans, 10-inch round, and a few others. Fun for graduation, special occasions, birthdays, family, friends, or church potluck parties.
Chocolate Cake with Key Lime Cream Cheese Filling
- 1 Devil's Food Chocolate Cake Mix I used Duncan Hines plus ingredients to prepare mix
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 cup Key lime juice
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream whipped
- Confectioners' Sugar for dusting
- Prepare cake mix as directed on box. Prepare Fillables pan by spraying a light coat of baking spray. Pour batter into Fillables pan, filling about 2/3 to 3/4 full. Tap pan on counter to release air bubbles.
- Bake according to cake package directions according to pan size. My pan was a 9" pan so I followed the instruction for baking a 9" pan. Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan to cooling rack to cool completely.
- Place bottom on Fillables cake on serving plate, well side up. Fill wells with Key lime cream cheese filling. Spread remaining filling around cake as if you are icing it. Place top layer and sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.
- While cake bakes prepare Key lime cream cheese filling. Refrigerate for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- To make Key Lime cream cheese filling:
In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, milk and juice until smooth; fold in whipped cream.
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home