Bone-in beef short ribs require long and slow cooking to tenderize them, making them a perfect candidate for the slow cooker. Beef short ribs with vegetables is pure comfort food.
This post is sponsored in conjunction with #NationalSlowCookerMonth. All opinions are my own.
The original recipe for these short ribs came from a former colleague. The first time I made it, it became and instant favorite with the family. Over the years, I’ve tweaked it a bit.
I don’t know why, but I don’t use my slow cooker, or crock pot, very often. But every winter, I pull it out to make this delicious and flavorful recipe. My friend used country style short ribs, or, in other words, boneless short ribs. Either will work in this recipe. Boneless short ribs are not available at my grocer.
Prep everything but the potatoes the night before. They will brown. I’ve never left potatoes in water overnight so I’d do them in the morning. But you can certainly cut up the onions and garlic. The original recipe also had mushrooms but I chose to leave them out.
Slow cooking for a long period of time leaves these short ribs and vegetables fork tender and delicious. They melt in your mouth, no knife needed. If you are pressed for time, you can cook this recipe on high for 4 to 5 hours, otherwise 8 to 10 on low will work too. They will be ready when you get home from work, which is always a nice feeling after a long day.
Monday’s Slow Cooker Recipes
- Cheesy Chicken Pasta Bake by That Recipe
- Beef Short Ribs with Vegetables by Family Around the Table
- Easy Slow Cooker Lady Pea Cassoulet by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Homestyle Pork Roast (Slow Cooker) by Palatable Pastime
- Make-Ahead Slow Cooker Tomato Sauce by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Slow Cooker Coconut Curry Lentil Soup by Frugal & Fit
- Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken and Tomato Pasta Sauce by Savory Moments
- Slow Cooker Curried Lentil & Sausage Soup by The Spiffy Cookie
- Slow Cooker Dinner Rolls by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Slow Cooker Nashville Hot Chicken Sandwiches by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Slow Cooker Pepperoni Pizza Pasta Casserole by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Slow Cooker Pinto Bean and Chorizo Naan Bread Appetizer by The Freshman Cook
- Slow Cooker Red Beans and Rice by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Slow Cooker Tuscan White Bean Soup with Sausage by Blogghetti
- Vegan Slow Cooker Chickpea Noodle Soup by Kate’s Recipe Box
- 12 bone-in beef short ribs
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 10 russet potatoes, cut in half then quartered
- 20 uncooked baby carrots
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (32 ounce) carton low sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley for garnish
- Sprinkle the ribs with salt and pepper. Heat a large skillet set medium-high heat, I like using cast iron. Add the ribs and cook, turning once, until browned, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer the ribs to a slow cooker. Add the onions, potatoes, carrots, garlic, and bay leaf. Pour the broth and Worcestershire sauce over the meat and vegetables. Cover and cook until the meat and vegetables are fork-tender, 4–5 hours on high or 8–10 hours on low.
- About 20 minutes before the cooking time is up, make the slurry. Combine the flour and water in a small bowl until smooth; stir in about 1⁄4 cup of the hot liquid from the slow cooker until blended. Stir the flour mixture into the slow cooker. Cover and cook on high, until the mixture simmers and thickens, about 15 minutes. Discard the bay leaf. Stir in the parsley just before serving.
Cooking Time - 4 - 5 hours on high; 8 - 10 hours on low
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.