Whether you’re grilling burgers, chicken, or beef these Bacon Cheddar Potato Packets go on the grill alongside your entree. They are the ideal side dish for many entrees and are fun to serve at parties.
This post may contain affiliate links. I earn a nominal commission if products are purchased through links at no additional charge to you.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- These potato packs are the perfect camping side dish.
- You can do a lot of advanced prep work and then assemble just before grilling.
- If you don’t have a grill or it’s raining or cold, these can easily be made in the oven.
Whether you choose to make these bacon Cheddar potato packets on the grill or in the oven, just six ingredients are needed for this side dish that’s sure to become a favorite.
- Potatoes – Idahos are my first choice.
- Cheddar Cheese – Shred it yourself, don’t buy pre-shredded.
- Bacon – You need to cook it first.
- Butter – I prefer unsalted.
- Salt and Pepper – Or other favorite seasonings. See the tips below.
- Green Onions – Also known as spring onions.
Tasks you can do in advance when making these bacon Cheddar potato packets include shredding the cheese, cooking the bacon, and slicing the green onions.
You can also cut up the potatoes but be sure to keep them in a bowl of water so they don’t brown.
Why should you soak cut potatoes in water?
The reason is to prevent the potatoes from exposure to air, which causes dehydration, oxidation, and discoloration. Immersing cut potatoes also helps rinse off the excess starch. You can soak the potatoes anywhere from 30 minutes to overnight.
How do you serve bacon cheddar potato packets?
Making individual sides is fun and easy. Once these packets are done, I put the whole foil pack on the plate with the entree. You certainly could choose to turn the potatoes out of the packet onto the plate if you prefer.
Tips and Additions
- Mix up the seasonings. Add some heat with cayenne pepper. Spice them up with garlic powder in addition to the salt and pepper.
- Rather than sprinkle green onions on at the end, slice a sweet onion into wedges and include it in the packet.
- Use a blend of cheeses rather than just one type.
- If you prefer you could bake packets rather than putting them on the grill.
- Use sweet potatoes or red potatoes in place of the Idaho potatoes.
More kid-friendly potato recipes
More Delicious Cookout Side Dishes:
Did you make this recipe? If so, please leave a 5-star review on the recipe card below.
Bacon Cheddar Potato Packets
- 4 medium Idaho potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 cup cooked and crumbled bacon
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Preheat grill to medium heat. You’ll need 4 large squares of aluminum foil. Spray each piece of aluminum foil with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place cubed potatoes on each of the 4 squares of foil.
- Add 1 tablespoon of butter to each portion and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cover potatoes with about 1/2 cup of shredded cheese and 1/4 cup of bacon pieces. Wrap foil securely around potatoes. Pierce foil with a knife several times to vent steam while cooking.
- Place on preheated grill. Cover grill and cook over medium heat for 45 – 55 minutes until potatoes are tender.
This post was originally published on June 6, 2016 and updated on May 10, 2020.