Bacon Cheddar Potato Packs go on the grill alongside your entree. They are the ideal side dish to hot dogs, hamburgers, chicken, or ribs.
We are fortunate that living in Florida, we get to grill year-round. And grill we do! The very first time I made bacon Cheddar potato packs was for a dinner party. They were so good, I made them again soon after that party.
Fast forward four years and I’ve finally added them back into my menu rotation. My family is glad I did.
See, four years ago, my youngest was 11 and he doesn’t even remember this dish. He asked if there was more, not realizing each of us got one packet.
I hope that’s an indication to you of how good they are. Besides being delicious, they are easy to make.
One great thing about this recipe is you can mix up the ingredients. Use sweet potatoes or red potatoes in place of the Idaho potatoes.
Rather than sprinkle green onions on at the end, slice a sweet onion into wedges and include in the packet. Kick up the heat with some sliced jalapeños. Use a blend of cheeses rather than just one type. If you prefer you could bake packets rather than putting them on the grill.
If you bake them do so at 350 degrees F. Check the packets at about 30 minutes and adjust your time from there. If you use sweet potatoes, you may need to adjust the cooking time as well.
More Delicious Cookout Side Dishes:
- Bacon Cheddar Potato Packs by Family Around the Table
- BLT Pasta Salad by Making Miracles
- Creamy Macaroni Coleslaw Salad by Blogghetti
- Dijon Potato Salad with Fresh Herbs by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Grilled Shrimp Piccata by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Hawaiian Chicken Kabobs by Sweet Beginnings
- Hoop Dee Doo Revue Cornbread by Simply Inspired Meals
- Korean Grilled Tuna by Palatable Pastime
- Low-Carb Chocolate Chip Bars by Art of Natural Living
- Orange Pesto Skirt Steak by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Slow-Cooked Memphis-Style Ribs by Books n’ Cooks
This post was originally published on June 6, 2016 and updated on May 10, 2020.
- 4 medium Idaho potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 cup cooked and crumbled bacon
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Preheat grill to medium heat. You'll need 4 large squares of aluminum foil. Spray each piece of aluminum foil with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place cubed potatoes on each of the 4 squares of foil.
- Add 1 tablespoon of butter to each portion and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cover potatoes with about ½ cup of shredded cheese and ¼ cup of bacon pieces. Wrap foil securely around potatoes. Pierce foil with a knife several times to vent steam while cooking.
- Place on preheated grill. Cover grill and cook over medium heat for 45 - 55 minutes until potatoes are tender.