These white chocolate orange pecan scones with orange glaze are perfect for brunch or a great grab and go breakfast. Enjoy with a cup of coffee or tea.
This post is sponsored by Nielsen-Massey. I received a bottle of Nielsen-Massey organic pure orange extract that I used to create white chocolate orange pecan scones with orange glaze. All opinions are my own.
Over the last few years, I have come to love scones. I think the first few times I had them they were just too dry, a complaint I hear from friends sometimes.
When I was offered a choice of a Nielsen-Massey organic extract, I knew I wanted orange pure orange extract because, well, I do live in Florida, home of orange groves. After thinking and tossing around ideas I settled on making white chocolate orange pecan scones.
These scones are really delicious. The orange is not overpowering and they are not too sweet. White chocolate isn’t overly sweet and the glaze is just perfect. My family really enjoyed these scones. So much so, I made a second batch within a week.
I took a few to a meeting and they won rave compliments. One friend even said she thought they tasted like they came from a local bakery.
You can certainly use larger sized pecan pieces but I had small bits on hand and decided those would be perfect. They were. Larger pieces will change the texture a bit. My son who is not fond of nuts even loved them. If there is an allergy in your family, they can be omitted.
More recipes made with Nielsen-Massey include my very vanilla French toast bake with butter pecan topping, double chocolate peppermint cookies, and coffee almond fudge.
- 3 cups flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 12 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2/3 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup pecan bits
- 1 tablespoons Nielsen-Massey organic pure orange extract
- 1 cup half and half, plus 1/4 cup for brushing tops of scones
For orange glaze
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoons Nielsen-Massey organic pure orange extract
- 2 - 3 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with Silpat mats or parchment paper.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in a medium bowl. Stir with a whisk. Mix in orange zest.
- Add in butter cubes and cut in with a pastry blender or two forks. Add in pecan bits and white chocolate chips.
- Measure out 1 cup of half and half and add Nielsen-Massey organic pure orange extract. Add to flour mixture, mixing with a fork until moist and clumps form. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured board and knead until dough holds together. Form into a ball.
- Cut dough in half and pat each half into 1-inch thick rounds. Cut each round into 4 wedges, then cut each wedge in half so you have 8 wedges from each one.
- Place on prepared baking sheets about 2 inches apart.
- Brush tops of scones with remaining half and half.
- Bake at 400 degrees F. until tops of scones are golden brown, about 12 - 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let set on baking sheet 5 minutes before removing to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- To make the orange glaze: Combine glaze ingredients in a small bowl and mix until smooth and desired consistency is reached. Drizzle over cooled scones.