This post is sponsored in conjunction with #BrunchWeek. I received product samples from sponsor companies to aid in the creation of this red pepper, asparagus and cheddar quiche. All opinions are mine alone.
Quiche is such an easy dish to make. It’s perfect for so many occasions, especially a brunch buffet. I love using Michigan asparagus in recipes because it’s grown in the US and prefer to buy US grown produce when I can. This red pepper, asparagus and cheddar quiche uses four of our #BrunchWeek sponsors – Cento, Eggland’s Best Eggs, Michigan Asparagus and Cabot Cheese.
There are so many things to love about a quiche. They are easy to make, you can put your favorite ingredients in them and customize the flavors however you want, leftovers are easy to reheat and quiche can be made ahead, creating less stress for the hostess. In this recipe you could switch up ingredients to substitute or add sautéed onions, use another Cabot cheese such as pepper jack for a bit of heat or use Cento sun-dried tomatoes. Quiche is just such a versatile dish. Make up more than one for brunch with different flavors. Try a veggie one and one with bacon, sausage or ham.
A few notes about my quiche recipe. You need to chop the sun-dried tomatoes. They are different sizes in the jar and you want them uniform and bite size in the quiche. To blanche the asparagus, boil it briefly then plunge it into a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking and preserve the bright green color. Don’t substitute pre-shredded cheese for the Cabot cheese. When you shred cheese it melts better because pre-shredded has an anti-caking agent. You’ll be happy you took the extra time to shred your own.
I hope you’re enjoying all the wonderful recipes from the #BrunchWeek. There are so many wonderful dishes. It’s easy to make good food when you have great ingredients.
- 1 partially baked pie shell (9-inch)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup sliced marinated roasted red pepper, chopped (I used Cento)
- ½ pound cooked and trimmed asparagus, (I used Michigan Asparagus)
- 1 ½ cups Cabot Vermont Extra Sharp Cheddar, shredded
- 4 eggs (I used England's Best)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Brush the partially baked pie shell with mustard. Set aside.
- Blanche asparagus and immerse in ice bath to stop cooking and preserve color. Cut all but 4 or so asparagus into thirds. Reserve longer pieces for top of quiche.
- Melt butter in sauté pan. Cook onion until tender but not brown.
- Combine onion with cut asparagus, red pepper and cheese in the pie shell
- In mixing bowl, beat eggs. Add milk, salt and pepper.
- Pour the mixture over the asparagus mixture.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until center is set, covering crust with foil if it starts to brown.
- Cool 10 minutes before serving.
More Ideas for Brunch
Take a look at what the #BrunchWeek Bloggers are creating today!
Barley and Apple Salad with Kale Pesto from A Day in the Life on the Farm
BrunchWeek Egg Dishes:
Asparagus and Cheese Tart from Brunch-n-Bites
Muffin Tin Frittatas from Sweet Beginnings
Red Pepper, Asparagus and Cheddar Quiche from Family Around the Table
Shaksuka from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
BrunchWeek Breads, Grains, and Pastries:
French Toast Sticks from The Barbee Housewife
Khachapuri – Georgian Cheese Bread with Eggs from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
Pineapple Upside Down Pancakes from For the Love of Food
Strawberry Streusel Crescent Muffins from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
Tiramisu Pancakes from Tara’s Multicultural Table
BrunchWeek Main Dishes:
Everything Bagel Breakfast Pockets from Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
BrunchWeek Fruits, Vegetables and Sides:
Artichoke & Sun-Dried Tomato Pasta Salad from Eat Move Make
Asparagus Tart from Mildly Meandering
Roast Carrots with Pine Nuts & Feta from Books n’ Cooks
Sweet Potato Avocado Toast from Forking Up
Coconut Cupcakes with Coconut and Blueberry Frosting from Love and Confections
Chocolate Rum Beet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Beet Frosting from Daily Dish Recipes
Espresso Coffee Cake from Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
Peach Brown Butter Coffee Cake from The Redhead Baker