If you’re looking for a vegetarian quiche recipe, try this easy and flavorful Asparagus Red Pepper Quiche. This spring quiche is perfect for Mother’s Day, bridal showers, graduation gatherings, and any other occasion.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon associate, an Instacart Tastemaker, as well as a member of other various affiliate programs, I earn a nominal commission if products are purchased through links at no additional charge to you.
Ingredients for Asparagus Red Pepper Quiche
Quiche is such an easy recipe to make. If you’ve never thought about asparagus in quiche, it’s time to try it.
Asparagus red pepper quiche is perfect for so many occasions, especially a brunch buffet. And if you’re not adept at making a pie crust, use one from the freezer section of your supermarket. It’s also a time saver.
- 9-inch Frozen Pie Crust or make a homemade crust. You will need to blind bake it.
- Dijon Mustard – you could also use brown mustard but don’t use yellow.
- Butter – Unsalted only
- Onion – I used a sweet onion that I diced but red onions would be good too. While you can use raw onions, sautéed onions have much more flavor.
- Marinated Roasted Red Peppers – These can usually be found with jarred mushrooms in your grocery store. Yes, you can use red bell pepper but the marinated roasted red peppers bring another level of flavor to this quiche.
- Fresh Asparagus Spears – Cut into 1-inch pieces. You’ll blanche it and plunge it into cold water to stop the cooking.
- Cheddar Cheese – Shred your own, it’s worth it. Plus it melts better because pre-shredded chess has anti-caking agents.
- Large Eggs
- Milk – Use Whole or 2% for best results.
- Salt – I like sea salt.
- Pepper – Black pepper.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
There are so many things to love about a quiche.
- They are easy to make, you can put your favorite ingredients in them.
- Customize the flavors however you want.
- Leftovers are easy to reheat.
- Quiche can be made ahead, creating less stress for the hostess.
How do you make quiche?
Start by chopping all of the vegetables. Blanche the asparagus pieces and saute the vegetable mixture over medium heat in a large frying pan in melted butter.
Combine the egg mixture in a medium bowl, whisking to incorporate the ingredients.
Pour the egg custard mix into the pie crust and bake as directed.
What can I serve with quiche?
I like to serve a nice salad of field greens with a light dressing or with a nice soup for a heartier meal. It’s perfect for lunch or dinner.
This asparagus red pepper quiche is a great everyday type quiche that’s also perfect for special occasions.
This quiche is a great way to use up things in your refrigerator. If you want to keep this a vegetarian asparagus quiche consider ingredients like spinach, green onions, peppers, broccoli, peas, or mushrooms.
If you’ve got meat lovers in your ranks add some chopped ham, bacon or sausage.
Use other cheese varieties too such as Mozzarella, Swiss cheese, or a spicy variety such as pepper jack. Make this an asparagus goat cheese quiche for an earthy and slightly tangy taste.
Quiche is just such a versatile dish. Make up more than one for brunch with different flavors. Scroll down for more quiche recipes.
A few notes about my quiche recipe. Read through them to help make the recipe successful.
You need to chop the roasted red peppers. They are different sizes in the jar and you want them uniform and bite-size in the quiche.
To blanche the asparagus, boil it briefly then plunge it into a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking and preserve the bright green color.
Don’t substitute pre-shredded cheese for the cheese. When you shred cheese it melts better because pre-shredded has an anti-caking agent. You’ll be happy you took the extra time to shred your own.
Fresh herbs like thyme or dill would be a nice addition to my asparagus red pepper quiche.
Place the filled pie shell on a baking sheet to catch any egg mixture overflow that may happen while baking. This will keep any mess from happening on the bottom of your oven.
You want a golden brown crust on the asparagus red pepper quiche. If it starts to brown too quickly, use a pie crust shield or aluminum foil.
Gently pour the asparagus egg mixture into the pie crust being careful not to overfill it. Sprinkle the shredded cheese on top of the filling before baking.
If any mixture overflows and spills onto the baking sheet, use a paper towel to blot it up as best as possible. You don’t want the liquid to burn.
How do you store quiche?
Store this asparagus red pepper quiche covered with aluminum foil in the refrigerator for up to three days.
How do you reheat asparagus red pepper quiche?
While you could reheat slices of quiche in the microwave, I am always a proponent of reheating just about anything in the oven. A toaster oven works well for one slice.
Place a slice on a foil lined baking sheet and preheat the oven to 300°F. Heat for 10 to 15 minutes.
Want more delicious quiche recipes?
So now you’ve tried this delicious spring quiche and want more. If you grow zucchini you’ll want to try this garden fresh zucchini quiche. Quiche florentine, quiche Lorraine, or this one pan gluten-free Mediterranean quiche are others to try. If you want to try a crustless quiche, easy broccoli, bacon, cheddar quiche is made in the instant pot.
Mini quiche appetizers are perfect before dinner or a game day party and are made in mini muffin tins. These mini quiches are easy to make and delicious.
Did you make this recipe? If so, please leave a 5-star review on the recipe card below.
Red Pepper, Asparagus and Cheddar Quiche
- 1 9-inch pie shell partially baked
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion diced
- ¼ cup marinated roasted red pepper chopped
- ½ pound cooked and trimmed asparagus
- 1 ½ cups Cheddar Cheese shredded
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 375℉.
- Brush the partially baked pie shell with mustard. Set aside.1 9-inch pie shell, 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Melt the butter in sauté pan. Cook onions until tender but not brown. You want them to be translucent.2 tablespoons butter, 1 onion
- Cut the asparagus into thirds or fouths, depending on how long the stalks are. Blanche asparagus and immerse in ice bath to stop cooking and preserve color.
- Combine the onion and red pepper with the cut asparagus in the sauté pan. Sauté briefly to warm the asparagus and red peppers.¼ cup marinated roasted red pepper, ½ pound cooked and trimmed asparagus, 1 onion
- In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper.4 eggs, 1 cup milk, 1 teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Pour the egg mixture over the asparagus mixture. Sprinkle with the shredded Cheddar cheese.1 ½ cups Cheddar Cheese
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until center is set, covering crust with foil if it starts to brown.
- Cool 10 minutes before serving.