Giant milk chocolate chip cookies are delicious and will come to be a favorite treat in your house. This recipe makes two to serve a larger group.
When it comes to back to school, I’m following in my Mom’s footsteps. For the first day of school, the last day of school, and many days in between she would surprise me with various treats. For my lunchbox, after school, report card day, you name it and she was making it special. That’s just what she did. Have I mentioned she was a great cook? I come by my love of cooking and baking naturally.
Sadly, my boys are past the lunchbox days now, but when they were younger we would pick out treats to make together. As they got older they would help me make them. They do love being in the kitchen. They would pick chocolate chip (a favorite), brownies, cowboy cookies, peanut butter, and M&M cookies. But now that they are past the lunchbox age I like to surprise them with treats, not only for a job well done in school, but just because. During holidays, I also like to mix it up and make a treat geared toward the holiday. For Christmas these Christmas Sprinkle Cookies are a favorite. Pumpkin cookies for Fall, one of my Mom’s recipes.
In just a few short years my oldest will be heading off to college. While I know I’ll be excited for him while missing him terribly I know I can continue to make things special with care packages. Something to look forward to. For now, I’ll make these for home but I do think they would package and travel well for a care package. Use a pizza cutter to get perfect wedges then wrap individually so they stay fresh during transit.
This giant milk chocolate chip cookie makes two. I often send it in for an after school snack to the boys bagpipe club and the kids love it! It is a delicious after school treat they have come to “suggest” I make. One of their other favorite “suggestions” is the Hershey bar pie. For many kids, back to school is a time they dread. It’s really easy to make it more tolerable with a special treat.
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine , softened
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup light brown sugar packed
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups HERSHEY'S Milk Chocolate Chips (11.5-oz. pkg.)
- Ice cream or whipped cream, optional
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line two 8-inch round baking pans with foil.
- Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add egg; beat well. Stir together flour and baking soda; add to butter mixture, beating until blended. Stir in milk chocolate chips. Spread half of batter into each prepared pan, spreading to 1-inch from edge. (Cookies will spread to edge when baking.)
- Bake 18 to 22 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely. Once cool, carefully lift cookies from pan and remove foil. Cut each cookie into 8 wedges (a pizza cutter works well); serve topped with scoop of ice cream or whipped cream, if desired.