Today for Taste of Home Tuesday my fellow volunteer field editors, Maureen and Jolene, and I are sharing blueberry recipes. July 10 is national blueberry picking day so today’s theme is blueberries. Fresh blueberry coffee cake is in order. We love blueberries and were actually just talking about them. Both my husband and youngest said their favorite pie is blueberry. In fact, here’s a link to our favorite blueberry pie. You’ll also find a recipe for blueberry muffins from Taste of Home on my site as well. Plus, July 11 is national blueberry muffin day.
While we have lots and lots of blueberries in our supermarket right now, the Florida blueberry season is over. It ends in May. A few years ago we went blueberry picking as a family but it was so very hot that spring that we haven’t gone since. I made this recipe as written but next time would add a bit of vanilla extract. Probably a teaspoon. Almond extract or lemon extract would also be delicious. I love the sprinkling of sugar on the top. My Mom always did that when she made her homemade blueberry muffins and I do it too. I also tossed the blueberries with a bit of flour so they wouldn’t sink into the batter in the pan. I love how there are hills and valleys in the finished coffee cake. Gives it interesting texture.
So grab a cup of coffee, tea or glass of milk and a slice of fresh blueberry coffee cake to start your day off right!
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- In a bowl, beat egg. Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar; mix well.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to sugar mixture alternately with milk. Stir in butter. Gently fold in blueberries.
- Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.