Independence day is one of my favorite holidays. Maybe it’s the festive red, white and blue, maybe it’s picnics in the park or backyard gatherings with family and friends. Maybe it’s all the wonderful food! When I host parties, I love making something fun or a favor. These firecracker marshmallow pops are great for kids or wrap them up in cellophane, tie with festive ribbon and use as favors.
When my boys were young, we used to dip marshmallows in chocolate all the time. It’s a fun memory for all of us. When this event came up with my blogger friends, I knew I wanted to make these firecracker marshmallow pops. Most marshmallow pops dip the entire marshmallow in the candy melts. Well, ask anyone that knows me and they will tell you that I’m not a huge fan of too much artificial color. That is one of the reasons I decided not to immerse them in the candy melts. I kind of love the look of the stripes plus the candy doesn’t overpower the marshmallow. I found the cute paper straws on Amazon. I think they add a festive touch.
Looking for more fun patriotic food ideas? My patriotic ice cream cones are a fun way to serve ice cream. If you’re short on time try my All-American patriotic dessert tarts. Don’t forget to check out the recipes below from my fellow bloggers.
- American Pride Cookies by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Berry Sangria Macaron by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Cherry Berry Buckle Cake by Cookaholic Wife
- Firecracker Marshmallow Pops by Family Around the Table
- Patriotic Pudding Firecrackers by Daily Dish Recipes
- Red White and Blue Burger Bites by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Red, White, and Blue Fruit Salad by Simple and Savory
- Red, White, and Blue Popcorn by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Red, White, & Blue Ricotta Ice Cream by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- 8 jumbo marshmallows
- ¼ cup red candy melts
- ¼ cup royal blue candy melts
- 4 paper straws
- Skewer two marshmallows on each straw and stand in a glass.
- In two separate bowls, melt each candy melt color, one at a time, according to package directions. Once melted, put each color into a separate ziplock bag. DO ONE COLOR AT A TIME.
- Holding the end of the straw in one hand and ziplock in the other. Gently squeeze the bag over the marshmallows as you turn the marshmallows. Work quickly.
- Repeat with other color.
- Stand in glass to set. Serve.