Festive treats like these Easter M and M cookies are perfect for your holiday guests. Put them on a dessert table, wrap them up as favors for guests to take home, or even make an ice cream sandwich.
You don’t need pastel candy to make these cookies. Any plain M&M’s will work. Or switch them up for other holiday mix colors.
This M&M cookie recipe may very well be the original M&M cookies recipe. I found it in my Mom’s recipe box and the card was old and stained which means it was used a lot. Now that I have my family it gets used a lot too because I love M&M cookies! My kids love M&M cookies! My husband loves M&M cookies! So, need less to say, we make this recipe a lot.
You’ll notice there’s no butter in it. The first time I made this recipe all those years ago I did not tell my husband there was no butter. He would not have even tried them.
What’s the difference between using shortening and butter in cookies?
Shortening is 100% fat, and does not contain water. That means no steam is created while baking which reduces gluten production. Cookies made with shortening are usually softer and more tender. Shortening also has a higher melting point than butter which results in taller cookies.
Cookies made with butter are usually crispy. A cookie made with shortening is typically chewier. These cookies are chewy but after a couple of days, if they last that long, they will become slightly crispy.
- 1 cup shortening (I used Crisco)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon water
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups plus 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cup plain pastel M & M's (the equivalent of 12.6-ounce package)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl sift together flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, blend Crisco and sugars together until combined.
- Beat in vanilla, water, and eggs.
- Add flour mixture to the sugar and egg mixture and mix well. Stir in M & M's.
- Drop by teaspoon, or use a small ice cream scoop, onto parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet. Bake at 375 degrees F. for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden. For additional color, press additional M & M's into cookies before baking.
- Remove baking sheet from oven and cool cookies on sheet for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once completely cool store in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Originally published April 22, 2011 and updated March 28, 2021.