Festive treats like these Easter M and M cookies are perfect for your holiday guests. Put them on a dessert table, wrap them up as favors for guests to take home, or even make an ice cream sandwich.
You don’t need pastel candy to make these cookies. Any plain M&M’s will work. Or switch them up for other holiday mix colors.
This M&M cookie recipe may very well be the original M&M cookies recipe. I found it in my Mom’s recipe box and the card was old and stained which means it was used a lot. Now that I have my family it gets used a lot too because I love M&M cookies! My kids love M&M cookies! My husband loves M&M cookies! So, need less to say, we make this recipe a lot.
You’ll notice there’s no butter in it. The first time I made this recipe all those years ago I did not tell my husband there was no butter. He would not have even tried them.
What’s the difference between using shortening and butter in cookies?
Shortening is 100% fat and does not contain water. That means no steam is created while baking which reduces gluten production. Cookies made with shortening are usually softer and more tender. Shortening also has a higher melting point than butter which results in taller cookies.
Cookies made with butter are usually crispy. A cookie made with shortening is typically chewier. These cookies are chewy but after a couple of days, if they last that long, they will become slightly crispy.
Do you want to stay up to date with Family Around the Table?
Easter M and M Cookies
- 1 cup shortening I used Crisco
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon water
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups plus 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cup plain pastel M & M’s the equivalent of 12.6-ounce package
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl sift together flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, blend Crisco and sugars together until combined.
- Beat in vanilla, water, and eggs.
- Add flour mixture to the sugar and egg mixture and mix well. Stir in M & M's.
- Drop by teaspoon, or use a small ice cream scoop, onto parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet. Bake at 375 degrees F. for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden. For additional color, press additional M & M's into cookies before baking.
- Remove baking sheet from oven and cool cookies on sheet for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once completely cool store in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Originally published April 22, 2011 and updated March 28, 2021.