Cordon bleu appetizers are an easy nibble for New Year’s, game day, or any party. Much of the prep work can be completed in advance making assembly easy.
Pin Cordon Bleu Appetizers to make later.
This recipe for Cordon Bleu Appetizers has been in my “to try” file for years. By years I mean years. I’ve seen it often in my file but never made it. I changed up the original recipe by omitting chives and adding sauteed onions.
Since that first time, I now make this recipe often because my family loves it. It’s perfect for a Friday evening or weekend happy hour with cocktails such as my cranberry whiskey sour.
Then I had so much ham leftover from a holiday so I froze some of it and thought, I’m finally going to make this nibble! It’s a great recipe to make on the spur of the moment as I did recently when our neighbors came over for a spontaneous happy hour a few weekends ago.
I must say, they were well received by our guests and my kids. Not one was left. Serve them warm from the oven or at room temperature.
I really love the addition of mustard in this recipe. It’s a very subtle flavor. Don’t omit it.
The recipe originally says to use a loaf of French bread but I would have preferred to use a baguette.
Unfortunately, I couldn’t find one at the supermarket the day I shopped. I sliced the loaf then cut each slice in half for a more manageable appetizer. Use your judgment on size.
What can I do in advance to make this recipe easier?
Entertaining should be easy and here are some ways you can get ahead on this recipe:
- Slice the bread and store it in a Ziploc bag. Do this the day before or early on the day of the party.
- Dice up the ham, unless you’ve purchased diced ham in your deli section. Store in an airtight container or baggie.
- Dice up the onions. Store in an airtight container or baggie.
- Shred the Swiss cheese and store in an airtight container. I don’t like storing cheese in a plastic baggie. So much of it sticks.
You may know chicken cordon bleu or pork cordon bleu. The cordon bleu part is the cheese and ham.
These cordon bleu appetizers would also be great for a game day gathering, cocktail party, New Year’s Eve, or as a snack. They are delicious with wine (a nice Sauvignon Blanc or Chardonnay), beer, or a cocktail. I have served them with all those beverages.
Favorite Finger Foods
- Cordon Bleu Appetizers by Family Around the Table
- Curry Cheese Toasts by That Recipe
- French Onion Tartlets by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Homemade Fish Crackers with Cheddar and Whole Wheat by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Mini Crab Cake Appetizer by Art of Natural Living
- Samosa Egg Rolls by Palatable Pastime
- Steak Roll-Ups by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Stuffed Mini Peppers by Magical Ingredients
- Stuffed Mushrooms by Making Miracles
- Waffled Yorkshire Pudding Pizza Bites by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
We share Recipes From Our Dinner Table! Join our group and share your recipes, too! While you’re at it, follow our Pinterest board, too!
Cordon Bleu Appetizers
Cordon Bleu Appetizers are sure to be a hit at your next party.
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- ¾ cup diced fully cooked ham
- ¼ cup diced onions
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped Italian parsley for garnish
- 18 slices French bread (½ inch thick, each slice cut in half) or use a French baguette sliced ½ inch thick
- Saute onions in butter until translucent. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a bowl, beat cream cheese and mustard until smooth. Stir in the Swiss cheese, ham, and onions. Spread 1 tablespoon mixture over each bread slice. Place on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Sprinkle with parsley before serving. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Ashley Marie Lecker says
I love chicken cordon bleu and these sound so delicious! I know what I want to make for game day!
Anne Lawton says
This is such a great idea! i love chicken cordon bleu and in appetizer form just makes it better
Dorothy Reinhold says
Nothing beats a great appetizer. This is a new one for me,, and I am so excited to make a batch!
Lisa Kerhin says
What a delicious idea to turn cordon bleu into an app!
Amy Nash says
I love chicken cordon bleu and making it as an appetizer is such a fantastic idea! This is such a unique and wonderful approach to it and I can’t wait to make it for my family!
Karen @Karen's Kitchen Stories says
Such a great throw back recipe! They sound so tasty. Perfect for game day.
Colleen - Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck says
I think I might have to make these for a snacky Sunday dinner soon! A great way to use some of my frozen Christmas ham!
Amy (Savory Moments) says
These look delicious and a perfect game day snack!
Yum! What a fun appetizer and I love that they are single serving!
Liz @ Books n' Cooks says
What a fun recipe – love that you don’t have to roll the chicken, ham and swiss but get all the same great flavors!
Cheesy appetizer is always welcome in our home. They look pretty delicious!