Chocolate peppermint truffles can do double duty as a party favor for your guests or as a hostess gift when you head to a holiday party.
I love making truffles year round but peppermint is really a Christmas flavor. For other times of year I make my easy homemade chocolate truffles. If you’re not a fan of peppermint, you can add other flavors such as almond, raspberry or vanilla. Just be sure to use a quality extract.
I always start with delicious chocolate. It’s makes the best truffles. The red, green and white non-pariels make them very festive but feel free to use sprinkles. One of my boys, who was helping me make these truffles, asked if we could coat some in confectioners’, or powdered, sugar. It was a delicious suggestion.
- 2 4-ounce quality chocolate bars chopped (I used Ghirardelli semi-sweet)
- ⅔ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Toppings: Holiday non-pariels, confectioners' sugar
- Place chocolate and butter in a heat-proof bowl. Set aside..
- Heat the heavy cream until it is simmering over medium heat. Just until bubbles form around the edge of the pan.
- Add the butter to the chocolate and pour the heavy cream evenly on top. Let the warm cream and chocolate sit for 5 minutes minutes. Add the vanilla extract then stir until the chocolate has completely melted. Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface (to avoid condensation) and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- Scoop the set truffle mixture into 2 teaspoon-sized mounds. Roll each into balls.
- Roll each into desired toppings. Store, covered tightly, at room temperature for 3-4 days or refrigerate up to 2 weeks.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Welcome to #ChristmasSweetsWeek 2019! Co-hosted by Terri from Love and Confections and Christie from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures! What better way to celebrate the holidays than with food and fun? 25 bloggers from around the country have come together to share some of their favorite sweet Christmas recipes!! Deck the halls and get ready for very merry sweet treats, like fudge, cookies, Christmas morning breakfasts, layer cakes, cocoa, and more! Follow along on social media with our #ChristmasSweetsWeek hashtag. Happy Holidays!
Enjoy these #ChristmasSweetsWeek recipes from our bloggers:
Cinnamon Roll Pancakes from Daily Dish Recipes
Flaky Nutella Christmas Tree from Shockingly Delicious
Gingerbread Sweet Rolls from The Redhead Baker
Grinch Pancakes from Katie’s Cucina
Mini Chocolate Peppermint Baked Donuts from It Bakes Me Happy
Christmas Pastries and Desserts:
Angel Sugar Crisps from Jolene’s Recipe Journal
Chocolate Cherry Loaf from Seduction In The Kitchen
Hot Chocolate Cookie Cups from Sweet Beginnings
Peppermint Chunk Cookies from A Day in the Life on the Farm
Snowman Cupcakes from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Toy Soldier Frosted Brownies from Big Bear’s Wife
Vegan Gingerbread Layer Cake from The Baking Fairy
Bourbon Balls from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
Chocolate Peppermint Truffles from Family Around the Table
Christmas Crack (Saltine Toffee) from Palatable Pastime
Gingerbread Fudge from Love and Confections
Slow Cooker Chocolate Peanut Candy from Cheese Curd In Paradise
Spiced Pecans with a Rum Glaze from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
Star Crunch Inspired Bars from Our Good Life