Chocolate Strawberry Cream Cheese Breakfast Braid is an easy yet impressive brunch treat. Use fresh strawberries in the cream cheese. Your guests are sure to enjoy every delectable bite.
This post is sponsored in conjunction with #EasterBrunchWeek. I received product samples from sponsor companies to help in the creation of recipes. All opinions are mine.
I love pastries, especially if chocolate is involved. I was very excited to get the opportunity to work with Wewalka because they have a puff pastry in their line of products. Puff pastry is probably my favorite product to use in cooking and baking. I use it often and have used it for years. This is the first time I’ve used Wewalka. It won’t be the last.
Wewalka puff pastry comes with a handy dandy piece of parchment perfect for lining the Nordic Ware baking sheet. The baking sheet bakes so evenly. So a little information about puff pasty. Puff pastry is a laminated dough. What that means is there are many thin layers of dough separated by butter. It is produced by folding and rolling out the dough. Another example of a laminated dough is croissant dough and pastry dough. While I’ve never made puff pastry from scratch, I have made croissant dough from scratch. It’s a workout!
You could buy a strawberry cream cheese but it’s really easy to make. Florida strawberry season was just ending when I made the cream cheese for this recipe. My son loved it on bagels too. Don’t cut all the way to the cream cheese. The strips should be about 3 inches long.
Once the braid is folded up, brush with an egg wash. I used an Eggland’s Best egg straight up. I did not add any water to it when I whisked it. The result is a golden color.
Warm from the oven this is the color you are striving for on the braid. Because I have a sweet tooth, I added the chocolate drizzle but a sprinkling of confectioners’ sugar would have been lovely too.
The Wewalka puff pastry is so easy to work with. Since it’s a refrigerated product, there’s no thawing time. It’s ready to use when you need it. I honestly love this product so much, it’s my new favorite. I can’t wait to make more recipes.
If you love the chocolate strawberry flavor combination, you’re also sure to love strawberry chocolate French toast.
- 1 (13.2 ounce) package Wewalka puff pastry
- 1/4 cup strawberry cream cheese, recipe below
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 egg, I used Eggland's Best Eggs, beaten
Strawberry Cream Cheese
- 1 (3 ounce) bar cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup strawberries, chopped
- 1 teaspoon confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 4 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Make strawberry cream cheese: In a food processor combine cream cheese, strawberries and teaspoon of confectioners' sugar. Process until strawberries are small bits and ingredients are incorporated. This can be made ahead and kept in the refrigerator.
- Roll out Wewalka puff pastry onto a baking sheet, I used a Nordic Ware half sheet pan. Keep it on the parchment that comes in the package.
- Spread about 1/4 cup of the cream cheese down the middle of the puff pastry.
- Using a ruler alongside the long side of the puff pastry sheet, cut to the edge of the cream cheese with a sharp knife, 1-inch apart. (See photo)
- Sprinkle chocolate chips over cream cheese.
- Alternating sides, gently fold cut pieces of pastry over the filling.
- Brush entire top of braid with egg.
- Bake in preheated 425 degree F. oven for 25 - 28 minutes until golden brown.
- About 5 minutes before removing from oven, make chocolate glaze by combining all ingredients in a small bowl. Whisk until combined and is drizzling consistency.
- Once braid has been removed from the oven, drizzle the chocolate glaze over the top in a random manner. Allow to cool 5 minutes before serving.
The remaining strawberry cream cheese is delicious on bagels.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional charge to you.