Pound cake is probably my husband’s all-time favorite dessert. This version was no exception! This sparkling cider pound cake recipe from Taste of Home has been in my ever growing “to try” file. When I found it recently, I knew it would be a perfect addition to #appleweek and a nice change from using fresh apples.
When I went looking for sparkling cider, at first, I had a difficult time finding it. I finally found a large display at Walmart and actually purchased a couple of bottles. Good thing! This recipe does not use a full bottle. My boys were clamoring to try it and when they finally did, they loved it. I have to say, it’s been a while since I had sparkling cider and boy it was good. Brought back memories.
This is the perfect pound cake. The texture is classic pound cake and while both the batter and glaze have sparkling cider, that flavor really comes through in the glaze and makes all the difference. I recommend not skipping the glaze.
- ¾ cup butter, softened
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup sparkling apple cider
- ¾ cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 to 4 teaspoons sparkling apple cider
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan. Line bottom with parchment paper and grease paper.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. In another bowl whisk flour, baking powder and salt. Add to creamed mixture alternately with cider, beating well after each addition.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 40 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Run butter knife around edges and remove from pan immediately, being careful as it is hot. Cool completely on wire rack. Glaze when cool.
- To make glaze:
- In a small bowl, mix glaze ingredients until smooth. Spoon over top of cake allowing it to fall over sides. Serve.
This recipe was tested with Martinelli's Sparkling Cider
Monday: Appetizers and Drinks
Apple Cider Margaritas by A Palatable Pastime
Caramel Apple Float by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
Caramel Apple Martini by A Day in the Life on the Farm
Caramel Appletini by The Speckled Palate
Hot and Boozy Caramel Apple Cider by Love My Messy Messy Mess
Hot Fireball Apple Cider by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
Mulled Apple Shrub Mule by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
Pumpkin Spice Crockpot Apple Sauce by I Say Nomato
Red Hot Apple Cider by New South Charm
Roasted Apple and Acorn Squash Soup by Caroline’s Cooking
Slow Cooker Caramel Apple Cider by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Tuesday: Main Dishes and Sides
Apple Cheddar Grilled Cheese by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
Chopped Apple Salad by A Day in the Life on the Farm
Fall Apples Become Yummy Applesauce for the Year by Crafty Mama in ME
Harvest Brats with Apple Slaw by Corn, Beans, Pigs and Kids
Sausage Stuffed Apples by A Palatable Pastime
Scalloped Apples Casserole by Red Cottage Chronicles
Southern Style Fried Apples by New South Charm
Wednesday: Sweet Treats
Apple and Nut Drop Cookies by A Day in the Life on the Farm
Apple Brown Betty by Corn, Beans, Pigs, and Kids
Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Bread by Feeding Big
Apple Dumplings by A Palatable Pastime
Apple Oatmeal Cookies by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
Apple Pie & Cinnamon Things by Crafty Mama in ME
Apple Pie in a Jar by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
Baked Apples with Chocolate and Caramel by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Sparkling Cider Pound Cake by Family Around The Table
Thursday: Apple Projects
Friday: Anything Apple Goes
Apple Crisp Shortbread Bars by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Apple Fritters by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
Apple Pie Skillet by A Day in the Life on the Farm
Caramelized Apple and Bacon Jam Crostini by Caroline’s Cooking
Creamy Peanut Butter Apple Dip by New South Charm