These lemon meltaway cookies are a flavorful twist to a traditional wedding cookie. Bursting with lemon flavor they are perfect with tea or coffee.
Pin Lemon Meltaway Cookies to make later.
Lemon is such a popular flavor. Chances are you know more than a few people who like lemon treats. These lemon meltaway cookies are very similar to wedding cookies, sometimes called snowballs, Russian tea cakes or Mexican wedding cookies.
Lemon meltaway cookies truly melt in your mouth. They are a delicate cookie bursting with lemon flavor. This recipe uses fresh lemon zest and lemon juice. If you’re not familiar with zesting lemons check out my tips below.
While you could substitute lemon extract, using fresh juice and zest really elevates the flavor of these cookies. If you do choose to substitute extract, start with a little at a time, maybe one teaspoon and add more if you feel it needs it.
Tips for zesting lemons and other citrus fruits
- Zest only the outer peel. The white, or pith, under the peel is bitter and will alter the flavor of your cookies.
- Use a tool for zesting, not a regular cheese grater. You can see my favorite zester in the recipe card below.
- When zesting with a rasp, or zesting tool, hold the tool top down so all the zest collects on the bottom. Then, using your finger or mini spatula, scrape into the bowl. It’s a less messy method, I promise.
- Zest first, juice second.
Lemony goodness in these delicious cookies. As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Lemon Meltaway Cookies
Lemony goodness in these delicious cookies.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks Ellen from Family Around the Table and Christie from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures for hosting our Farmer’s Market Event!
Wednesday Farmer’s Market Week Recipes
- Basil Pesto Salad Dressing by The Spiffy Cookie
- Cheddar & Thyme Yellow Squash Biscuits by Savory Moments
- Fresh Cherry Crisp by The Freshman Cook
- Garlic Broccoli Slaw by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Hawaiian Chicken Kabobs by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Lemon Meltaway Cookies by Family Around the Table
- Mixed Berry Cobbler by The Redhead Baker
- Pink Peony Jelly by Daily Dish Recipes
- Slow Cooker Pork Bahn Mi Bowls with Pickled Vegetables by Books n’ Cooks
- Summer Vegetable Pasta Bake by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Tequila Salsa by Our Good Life
- Watermelon and Tomato Gazpacho by Cookaholic Wife
Wednesday 15th of June 2022
I just made a small test batch in preparation for a wedding cookie table this weekend. The test batch aren't the prettiest, but boy are they delicious! And they DO melt in your mouth. I am concerned about how to keep these for the wedding, though as there's a heat wave coming through this weekend. Any recommendations would be great!
Thursday 16th of June 2022
Hi Martine, So glad you enjoy the cookies! Will they be outside? My suggestions would be to toss them in powdered sugar just prior to serving, which I know could be difficult and a bit messy but an extra layer would probably be good. Another suggestion to keep them cool would be to chill the platter you will be serving them on. If you can, make them at the last minute or at least the last cookie you make. I hope that helps and enjoy the wedding!
Thursday 12th of September 2019
Yum! this looks so fresh and tasty!
Wednesday 4th of September 2019
Can't wait to make these. I've never had metlaway cookies before!
Tuesday 3rd of September 2019
I think I would prefer these over the traditional!
Amy (Savory Moments)
Monday 2nd of September 2019
Yummy! I love lemon desserts so much and these cookies look terrific! Pinning.