This is really difficult for me to write. My family is not a huge fan of pizza. There, I said it. Maybe I’ve spoiled them by all the home cooking. (We rarely eat out.) There are some nights I just don’t feel like cooking and I want pizza. To combat my family’s dislike of pizza I tried making it at home and then it dawned on me. Pizza made with homemade pizza dough is SO much better.
What I love about this recipe is the yeast does not need to proof. The dough still needs to rise but since the yeast is not proofed, there is a little less time involved. The key to perfect pizza dough is the proper temperature for the liquid.
When it comes to pizza my family is boring. They like plain cheese pizza or pizza with pepperoni and onions. I did manage to get them to try a pizza that was inspired by one I had at lunch with my Mom many years ago. They liked it but asked for pepperoni the next time.
Build the Perfect Pizza
The perfect pizza is such an individual decision. What I like is very different than what my family likes. Another beautiful thing about this easy homemade pizza dough is you can divide it into four equal parts for individual pizzas. That way everyone gets what they want. Below are some ideas for pizza toppings. I’d love for you to leave me a comment with the ingredients for your perfect pizza.
Are there other ingredients you think should be on this list? Leave me a comment and let me know what I missed.
- 2 1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 package quick active dry yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup very warm water (120° to 130°)
- Mix 1 cup of the flour, the sugar, salt and yeast in large bowl. Add 3 tablespoons oil and the warm water. Beat with electric mixer on medium speed 3 minutes, scraping bowl frequently. Stir in enough remaining flour until dough is soft and leaves sides of bowl. Place dough on lightly floured surface. Knead 5 to 8 minutes or until dough is smooth and springy. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rest 30 minutes.
This dough makes enough for one pizza.