Serve a comforting bowl of Broccoli Cheddar Soup to warm up on a cold afternoon. It comes together quickly and if there are any leftovers, it can be stored in the fridge and reheated easily.
It was a chilly start to the day here so I decided to make one of our favorite soups, broccoli cheddar soup. This particular recipe is the copycat version from Panera Bread Company.
Living in Florida I have to take advantage of cold weather days as they come. This soup is one of the first things I make when the temperatures drop.
To make this soup creamier, I put about 2 ladle-fulls in my blender to puree some of the carrot and broccoli pieces. You don’t want huge chunks of broccoli in your soup.
As you puree it, return it to the Dutch oven to keep it warm. Once you’ve pureed it, add the shredded cheese. I implore you to grate your own cheese!
Why? Well, freshly grated Cheddar cheese melts better than the preshredded stuff.
Why? Because the preshredded cheese you buy has anti-caking agents that hinder smooth melting.Serve a comforting bowl of Broccoli Cheddar Soup to warm up on a cold afternoon. It comes together quickly and if there are any leftovers, it can be stored in the fridge and reheated easily.
I garnished it with a few shavings of shredded cheddar cheese. This was enough for a late lunch but would be great served with 1/2 a sandwich or salad. Another serving suggestion is to ladle into a bread bowl.
More Soups for Cool Weather:
- Chicken Noodle Soup with Caramelized Onions
- French Onion Soup
- Olive Garden Chicken and Gnocchi Soup from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
We LOVE broccoli cheddar soup, no matter whose recipe it is. This version was a huge hit with my boys and my brother who was here visiting. Not a drop left and we all thoroughly enjoyed it. I typically serve this soup with crusty French or Cuban bread but you can also go with a softer bread roll.
Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 1 tablespoon butter melted
- ½ medium onion chopped
- ¼ cup butter melted
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups half and half
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ½ pound fresh broccoli about 3 cups, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup carrot julienned
- 2 cups 8 ounces sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a skillet and saute onion until soft. Set aside.
- In a Dutch oven, melt ¼ cup butter over medium heat. Add flour and stir constantly using a wooden spoon for 3 – 4 minutes. Add half and half and stir using a whisk until combined.
- Add the chicken stock and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the broccoli, carrots, and reserved onions. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook over low heat for 20 minutes.
- Ladle 2 spoonfuls into a blender container and puree until smooth. Return puree to saucepan and stir. Return to low heat and add Cheddar cheese, reserving some for garnish. Stir until cheese is melted and combined. Don’t turn up the heat to rush the process. Be patient.
- Serve with crusty bread.
This post was originally published February 16, 2016 and updated November 28, 2020.