Take brunch to the next level with Croissant French Toast Cups. They bake in the oven so less hands-on time in the kitchen and more fun with your guests. A total win-win.
This post is sponsored in conjunction with #BrunchWeek. I received product samples from sponsor companies to aid in the creation of recipes. All opinions are mine.
We love French toast. It’s a popular weekend breakfast in our house. I’ve seen French toast made with croissants but never made it myself. What I don’t love about making French toast is either trying to keep it warm or risk everyone eating before I get to the table. These bake in the oven, are done at the same time and everyone eats together.
This recipe makes six but it’s easily doubled for more servings. I usually by a large package of croissants at Sam’s Club. That’s an economical way to get a larger number.
I mixed the brown sugar into the eggs so it would be distributed evenly through the French toast cup. I could have put it on top but it would have competed with the cinnamon sugar and ultimately the delicious maple glaze, which also has brown sugar in it, for which I used Dixie Crystals sugar.
When they come out of the oven they are on the puffy side. They will settle a bit and hold the buttery maple drizzle in little crevices and pockets. Don’t skip the syrup drizzle. Could you use just warm, plain maple syrup? Sure but taking the time to make the buttery version, made with Cabot butter, is so worth it! If there is a nut allergy, you can certainly leave them off for that guest or omit that step all together. The cinnamon sugar on top adds a little crunch, an idea I got from my Mom.
Croissant French Toast Cups
- 2 large croissants, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 large eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons Dixie Crystals brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 6 teaspoons chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup packed Dixie Crystals brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Cabot butter, melted
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- In a small bowl combine the ingredients for the cinnamon sugar. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 6-cup muffin pan with cooking spray. Divide the croissant cubes among the muffin cups, pressing down.
- In a medium bowl whisk eggs, milk and 2 tablespoons Dixie Crystals brown sugar together. Carefully pour over cubed croissants, trying not to spill the egg mixture. Gently press croissants into egg mixture to soak bread. Sprinkle each muffin cup with cinnamon sugar and sprinkle with a teaspoon of chopped pecans.
- Bake, uncovered for 35 minutes, until they are puffy and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, combine the 1/3 cup Dixie Crystals brown sugar, melted Cabot butter, and maple syrup in a small saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Remove the croissant French toast cups from the muffin pan and serve drizzled with warm sauce.
Welcome to #BrunchWeek 2019 hosted by Love and Confections and A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures! This is the 7th year of #BrunchWeek and we have 35 bloggers from around the country sharing over 140 of their best Brunch recipes. We have so many delicious recipes for you to enjoy throughout the week including cocktails, appetizers, casseroles, cinnamon rolls, breakfast pizzas, coffee cakes, plenty of desserts, and more!
Take a look at what the #BrunchWeek Bloggers are creating today!
4 Ingredient Frozen Strawberry Daiquiri from Hardly A Goddess
Grapefruit Lime Spritzer from Love and Confections
Dairy Free Peach Italian Cream Soda from Cookaholic Wife
Mango Strawberry Smoothie from The Mandatory Mooch
Peach Guava Italian Soda from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Peach Mimosas from Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
BrunchWeek Appetizers and Salads:
Deviled Ham Spread from Platter Talk
Eggs Benedict Cobb Salad from Sweet Beginnings
Everything Bagel Dip from Snacks and Sips
Savory Cheesy Pinwheels from Who Needs A Cape?
BrunchWeek Egg Dishes:
Lobster Eggs Benedict from The Redhead Baker
BrunchWeek Breads, Grains, and Pastries:
Banana Split Muffin Recipe from Creative Southern Home
Croissant French Toast Cups from Family Around the Table
Funfetti Cinnamon Rolls from Kate’s Recipe Box
BrunchWeek Main Dishes:
Sandwich Cake (Smörgåstårta) from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
Blackberry-Mascarpone Dessert Pizza from Tip Garden
Brown Sugar Shortbread from Shockingly Delicious
Kiss Of Chocolate Cupcakes from Seduction in the Kitchen
Rainbow Biscotti from The Crumby Kitchen
Strawberry Rhubarb Coffee Cake from Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
Wheatgerm Chocolate Chip Cookies from Simply Healthyish Recipes