I’ve had this recipe for overnight nutty coffee cake for many, many, many years. I’ve shared it with many friends though the years. When the make ahead brunch event was announced this is the first recipe that came to mind.
This sweet coffee cake is moist with a delicate crumb. The powdered sugar glaze adds a depth of flavor without making it overly sweet. The sweet nut topping sinks a bit into the batter during baking giving it a swirled appearance. It bakes in about 30 – 35 minutes so it can be on the table quickly. Serve it warm or at room temperature.
For the topping:
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- ¾ cup brown sugar, packed
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- ½ cup chopped nuts
For the cake:
- 2/3 cup butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
For the glaze:
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoon milk
- Grease a 9- by 13-inch pan and set aside. For the topping, mix together melted butter, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and nuts. Set aside.
- For the cake, in a large bowl, cream together butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar. Add eggs one at a time, blending well after each. In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Add alternately with buttermilk to creamed mixture. Pour batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle batter with topping mixture. Cover and refrigerate overnight. In the morning, bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 30 to 35 minutes.
- To make glaze:
- In a small bowl combine glaze ingredients and stir until smooth
- Drizzle glaze over entire cake.
- Serve warm or room temperature.
Thank you to Cindy from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings for hosting the event.
- Apple and Bacon Cornmeal Scones by Caroline’s Cooking
- Lemon Crumb Cake by Life Tastes Good
- Nana’s New York Crumb Cake by The Crumby Cupcake
- Overnight Nutty Coffee Cake by Family Around The Table
- Asparagus Quiche in Hash Brown Crust by Wimpy Vegetarian
- Ham and Cheese Empanadas by Asian In America
- Make Ahead Baked Monte Cristo Cassarole by Sprinkles and Sprouts
- Overnight Breakfast Casserole by Soulfully Made
- Sorrel, Chive & Duck Egg Frittata by Wholistic Woman
- Sous Vide Egg Bites by Cricket’s Confections
Sides and Veggies
- Asparagus Tart with Goat Cheese and Spring Greens by Monica’s Table
- Baked Chili Maple Bacon by Food Lust People Love
- Blackberry Orange Oatmeal Bowls by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Brussels Sprouts Salad with Lemon Shallot Vinaigrette by Helpful Homemade
- Vegetable Lasagna by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Carrot Cake Pancakes by Brunch-n-Bites
- Citrus Crepes with White Chocolate Drizzle by Gourmet Everyday
- Flourless Chocolate Torte by Pies and Plots
- No Bake Peanut Butter Pie by The Freshman Cook
- Raspberry Mascarpone French Toast Casserole by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Strawberry Almond Crumble by Sunday Supper Movement