Make this mason jar Advent calendar a new tradition in your family. Make a family one and fill with family activities or make one for each child and fill with individualized treats.
Since my boys were young I have made homemade Advent calendars for them. I use Hershey Kisses because I want good chocolate. This year I decided to do something different in a BIG way. Each of my boys will be surprised with a mason jar Advent calendar.
I’m an avid scrapbooker so I have lots of holiday papers. I did not use the same papers twice but feel free to repeat as much as you’d like. Our house is decorated in traditional red and green so I went with that theme for the jars. If you prefer other holiday color schemes, use what matches your decorating style.
The 3″ scrapbook punch is the perfect size to punch the papers to adhere to the lids. It’s not a perfect fit for the lid but the ring will cover what the paper doesn’t. It’s also not imperative to align the paper precisely. The ring really covers an uneven placement.
When placing the numbers on the lids, I didn’t try to make it perfect. There were some designs I wanted to show through.
This project cost me about $35 but I did have the punch, papers, and adhesive. Factor in those items and the project is closer to $50. This cost does not include all the goodies to fill the jar. I did use coupons for the crate at Michael’s, they are on the app and the mason jars were on sale at Target.
Ideas to fill your mason jar advent calendar jars:
- Gift Cards
- Mini Candy Canes or Peppermints (These are perfect for kids who take exams!)
- Matchbox Cars
- Paper Money – $2 bills are fun
- Special coins – $1 coins
- Collector’s Cards (Baseball, Pokemon, etc.)
- Homemade gift certificates for activities (bowling, mini golf, etc.)
- Lego Minifigures
- Strips of Paper with Jokes or Fortunes
- Mini Candy Bars
- Lip Balm
- Nail Polish
- Assortment of Christmas Scrapbook Papers
- 24 - 8 ounce Mason Jars
- Spray Adhesive for Crafting
- Wooden Soda Crate with 24 sections (I found mine at Michael's)
- Small box for spraying adhesive
- Chipboard or sticker numbers
- Rubber gloves for use when spraying adhesive
- 3-inch round scrapbook punch
- Punch 24 rounds of scrapbook paper using the 3-inch punch. Set aside.
- Take rings off of jars, leaving lid on glass jar.
- Place 1 round at a time face down inside box. Lightly spray adhesive on back of scrapbook paper.
- Gently place paper round glue side down on jar lid and press lightly. Replace ring and screw top onto jar. Repeat with all jars.
- Number each jar using number stickers.
- Place each jar in crate, either in number order or random.
- Fill jars with treats for Advent.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Uchida Clever Lever Giga Craft Punch, Punches 3-Inch, Circle
Elmer's Spray Adhesive, Extra Strength, 10 Ounces
American Crafts Thickers Glitter Chipboard Numbers Stickers, Sprinkles Black
Echo Park Paper Company Perfect Christmas Collection Kit
Ball Jelly Jar 12PK 'Vintage Fruit Design', 8 Oz, Clear