This post, for Individual Skillet Apple Pies, is sponsored in conjunction with AppleWeek . I received product samples from sponsor companies to aid in the creation of the AppleWeek recipes. This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase though a link I receive a small commission at no additional charge to you. All opinions are mine alone.
I love apple pie! It is hands down my absolute favorite pie. When I received the pie top cutter from NordicWare for #appleweek I knew I wanted to make individual skillet pies. Because who doesn’t love to get their own dessert.
But how do you use a pie top cutter designed for a 9-inch pie on individual pie? I’ll tell you. You take smaller pieces of pie dough and carefully press them into the pie top cutter. It’s a little time consuming but not so much that you’ll never do it again. It’s really very easy and worth the extra effort to add a little something extra to the pies.
This is a classic apple pie. Like a few others these past few weeks, it’s my Mom’s and like some of those too, my Mom wrote Bob’s Favorite. My Dad had a lot of favorites. That was probably easy because my Mom was such a good cook. This banana bread was also a favorite.
The key to the golden crust is the egg wash. I don’t mix it with a bit of water but some people do. Some use milk instead but I think egg produces a more golden result. A little sprinkle of sugar adds just a bit of sweetness. This recipe makes 2 pies in a 5-in mini skillet. Easily doubled for more guests or family members. If you prep everything while dinner is cooking then bake while enjoying your meal, dessert is ready.
- 2 apples peeled, cored and sliced into 1/4" slices, I used Envy Apples
- 1/2 cup sugar, I used Imperial Sugar
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 3/4 teaspoons apple pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 package refrigerated pie crusts
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- Sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Prepare pie crusts: Roll out 1 pie crust. Place 5" cast iron skillets upside down on pie crust and carefully cut a circle 1/2" larger than skillet. Gently place pie crust in skillet pressing into bottom and up sides. Repeat cutting but set crust aside. This is for the top. Reserve balance of pie crust dough.
- In a medium bowl mix sliced apples, sugar, flour, apple pie spice and salt. Toss to coat. Divide apple mixture between skillets, piling the apples into a sort of mound.
- Place top crust over apples, gently pressing onto skillet.
- Take remaining pie crust dough and cut out apples from a NordicWare pie top cutter. Using the tip of a sharp knife, carefully remove apples and place on top crust of pie in decorative circle with one in the center. You will need 16 - 18 for both pies. (8 - 9 each pie) Repeat until you have enough. Cut 3 or 4 slits between apples to vent pie.
- Brush slightly beaten egg over crust and sprinkle with sugar. Bake in 425 degree F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until crust is golden and filling is bubbly. Serve warm or room temperature with ice cream if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Apple & Red Cabbage Slow-Cooker Sauerkraut by Faith, Hope, Love & Luck
- Apple Cherry Jam Cookies by The Monday Box
- Cheddar Chicken Tacos with Apple Salsa by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Apple Cider Donuts by House of Nash Eats
- Apple Cider Mules by The Redhead Baker
- Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Muffins by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Apple Fritters by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Apple Maple Breakfast Sausage by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Apple Oatmeal Muffins by Books n’ Cooks
- Apple Pandowdy by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Apple Pecan Chicken Salad by Cookaholic Wife
- Apple Spice Poke Cake by Jonesin’ for Taste
- Baked Apple Cider Donuts by Everyday Eileen
- Baked Cinnamon Apples by The Anthony Kitchen
- Caramel Apple Cheesecake Dip by Corn, Beans, Pigs, and Kids
- Caramel Apple Pie Party Mix by Lemon Blossoms
- Chicken with Apple, Onion, and Cider Sauce by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Cinnamon Apple Fritters by The Freshman Cook
- Chipotle Turkey, Apple, & Sweet Potato Chili by Savory Moments
- Harvest Apple Grilled Cheese Sandwich by Love and Confections
- Herby Ginger Apple Compote by Amy’s Cooking Adventures
- Individual Skillet Apple Pies by Family Around the Table
- Instant Pot Quick Oats with Apples, Walnuts, and Honey by 4 Sons R Us
- Japanese Beef Curry (Kare Raisu) by Palatable Pastime
- Kielbasa, Apple, Bacon, Sweet Potato Skillet Meal by Tip Garden
- Mini Apple Crisp Baked Apples by Cooking With Carlee
- New England Apple Cake by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Salted Caramel Apple Cinnamon Turnovers by Daily Dish Recipes
- Slow Cooker Chai Apple Butter by Mildly Meandering
- Spiked Mulled Apple Cider by Caroline’s Cooking
- Stuffed Apples with Homemade Sausage and Rice by Our Good Life