Cheesy apple sausage pastry bites are made with delicious Envy™ apples. They are perfect for game day parties or holiday entertaining. They pair nicely with a sauvignon blanc or robust cabernet sauvignon.
This post is sponsored by Envy™ Apple. All opinions are mine alone.
I have always loved cooking and baking with apples. I’ve made a number of recipes through the years. Mostly baked goods and appetizers. If you’ve never thought of using apples in an appetizer, my cheesy apple sausage pastry bites will change your mind.
Envy™ Apples have been a favorite of mine since I first worked with them. To be completely honest, I’ve never had a bad apple from Envy™. They are a cross between Braeburn and Royal Gala and are grown in Washington State and New Zealand.
You may think it’s unusual to grate an apple, and it probably is, but years ago I found a recipe of my Mom’s that used grated apple. Ever since, I’ve used it a few times. It works best in this recipe, rather than diced apple. If you used diced apple you would not get much apple in each pastry cup. Shredding it allows for more in each bite.
Add the shredded apple after the onions and sausage have cooked. Add some cheese until it gets a little melty. Fill the prepared cups and bake.
I love using puff pastry and when I was developing this recipe I knew it would be ideal. If you’ve never used puff pastry, you’ll love it. It puffs up as it bakes, cradling the filling in buttery flakiness. There are different brands of puff pastry on the market, some frozen and some refrigerated. Both are perfectly good but if you’re using the frozen variety, you need to allow it to thaw before preparing the squares.
Cheesy Apple Sausage Pastry Bites
- 1/4 pound mild Italian sausage casing removed and broken into bits
- 1/2 cup sweet onion diced
- 1 Envy apple shredded, moisture squeezed/ blotted out
- 2 garlic cloves. minced
- 1/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese plus more for topping
- 1 sheet puff pastry thawed and cut into 2” by 2” squares
- Non stick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a mini muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray. Gently fit puff pastry squares into the muffin wells. You’ll need 18. Set aside.
- In a skillet over medium heat, sauté onions, garlic, and sausage until sausage is browned, garlic is fragrant, and onions are translucent. Add shredded Envy apple. Stir constantly for 1 minute. Add shredded Cheddar cheese and stir until cheese becomes melty.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of mixture into each prepared puff pastry square. Top each bite with a bit more shredded Cheddar cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for 20 - 25 minutes until pastry browns and cheese is melted.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.