Cloves, ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg come together in this chewy cookie that’s sweetened with local honey. Honey spice oatmeal cookies are a great addition to any cookie tray.
This post is sponsored in conjunction with #ChristmasCookies week. All opinions are my own.
If you love chewy cookies, this is one for you! Oatmeal lends to the chewiness There are so many things to love about this cookie. The warm spices are perfect for the holiday season. This is everything a holiday cookie should be.
A good friend of mine always asks how I get my cookies all the same size. Easy! I use a cookie scoop. See the one I use in the recipe card below.
You need to plan ahead a bit to make these cookies. The cookie dough needs to chill for about 4 hours. It can chill longer so I like to make the dough one day than refrigerate it overnight.
This cookie is sweetened with honey. There’s a little extra sweetness from sugar. Before baking, you dip a flat-bottomed glass in sugar and flatten the cookie.
Once baked, that sugar almost makes the cookies glisten.
The cookies don’t spread much. Once they are done they are soft but cool them on the cookie sheet for a minute or two before removing them to a cooling rack. If you try to remove them too soon, they will bend and possibly break.
The type of honey you use will affect the flavor. I used a more neutral honey, rather than an infused honey. Actually, our school has beehives and I was lucky to get a jar. As a way to say thank you, I made these cookies for the teacher who oversees the hives.
Honey spice oatmeal cookies are full of warm spices. A delightful cookie to enjoy with a cup of coffee or tea. #ChristmasCookies
Tips for making Honey Spice Oatmeal Cookies
- Don’t skip chilling the dough. If the butter is too warm the cookies will spread too much and be more crispy than chewy.
- Don’t skip flattening the dough. The cookies won’t spread on their own. If you must skip the sugar due to dietary concerns, that’s ok. It adds a nice crunch and additional texture.
- These cookies will keep a few days on the counter in a covered container.
More Christmas Cookies:
- 2 ¾ cups - all-purpose flour
- 1 T - ground ginger
- 2 tsp. - ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. - baking soda
- ½ tsp. - salt
- ¼ tsp. - ground cloves
- ¼ tsp. - nutmeg
- 1 ½ cups oats (quick-cooking or old fashioned), uncooked
- 2 sticks butter, softened (no substitutions)
- ¾ cup honey
- 1 large egg
- In a large bowl, beat butter and honey with an electric mixer until creamy. Add egg; beat well.
- Add half of the cookie mix; beat well. Add remaining cookie mix; beat well.
- Divide dough into thirds; place each on a piece of plastic wrap and flatten to ½-inch thickness. Wrap tightly; chill at least 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Remove one portion of dough from the refrigerator.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Flatten to ⅛-inch thickness with bottom of glass dipped in granulated sugar. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake 5 to 7 minutes, just until centers are set. (Cookies will feel soft. Do not overtake.)
- Cool 1 minute on cookie sheets; remove to wire rack. Cool completely. Store tightly covered.
This recipe is adapted from the National Honey Board.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Monday Christmas Cookie Recipes
- Amaretti Snowball Cookies by Our Sutton Place
- Bourbon Pecan Snowballs by Leftovers Then Breakfast
- Brown Sugar Pecan Cookies by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Cappuccino Crinkles by West Via Midwest
- Cherry Garlands by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Chocolate Hazelnut Cookies by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Chocolate Peppermint Kiss Cookies by Books n’ Cooks
- Chocolate Sugar Kisses by An Affair from the Heart
- Christmas Confetti Amaretti Cookies by The Spiffy Cookie
- Christmas Mouse Shortbread Cookies by Palatable Pastime
- Christmas Pinwheel Cookies by Lemon Blossoms
- Cinnamon Chip Holiday Spice Cake Mix Cookies by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Cinnamon Pecan Snickerdoodles by Daily Dish Recipes
- Classic Butter Spritz Cookies by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Gluten Free Gingerbread Cookies by Frugal & Fit
- Hermit Cookies by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Honey Spice Oatmeal Cookies by Family Around the Table
- Melting Snowman Cookies by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Pecan Brown Sugar Cookies by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Pecan Pie Bars by Eat Move Make
- Pecan Pie Cookies by Art of Natural Living
- Peppermint Chocolate Cookies by Swirls of Flavor
- Peppermint Kiss Cookies by Devour Dinner
- Peppermint Patty Cookies by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Peppermint Shortbread Cookies by Simply Inspired Meals
- Raspberry Jam Cookies by Making Miracles
- Reindeer Cookies by Sweet Beginnings
- Soft Sugar Cookies with Sprinkles by Jersey Girl Cooks
- Toffee Bars by That Recipe
- White Chocolate Cranberry Crinkle Cookies by Blogghetti
Welcome to #ChristmasCookies week where more than 25 bloggers are sharing cookie recipes perfect for your holiday celebrations. Hosted by Ellen from Family Around the Table, Christie from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures, and Heather from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks, we invite you to not only check out the recipes but enter the amazing giveaway.
Don’t miss one delicious cookie recipe! Follow along on Pinterest.
Prize 1: Tower of Treats from Millican Pecan Company
Originally founded as the West Texas Pecan Nursery in the late 1800’s, Millican Pecan is now in 5th generation ownership. Located in San Saba, TX, the family continues the tradition of pecan farming while also branching the business into the online world. The family also enjoys educating people about pecans. One winner will receive The Tower of Treats Gift Tins. The tower includes 3 decorative gift tins stacked on top of each other. The bottom tin includes our 2 lb. Chocolate Pecan Sampler, the middle tin is our Flavored Pecan Sampler and the top tin is an 8 oz. tin of Milk Chocolate Caramillicans (similar to Turtles). An $80 value.
Prize 2: An Assortment of Flavored Extracts from Adams Extract and Spices
In January 2013, Adams, one of the oldest continuously operated companies in Texas and one of oldest spice and extract companies in the United States, celebrated its 125th birthday and was awarded the Texas Treasure Business Award, an award sponsored by State Bill 920 that recognizes the accomplishments of Texas businesses that have provided employment opportunities and support to the state’s economy for at least 50 years and pays tribute to the state’s well-established businesses and their exceptional historical contributions toward the state’s economic growth and prosperity.
Today, Adams proudly manufactures and markets under several Adams Brand banners, including Adams Best®, Adams Extract®, Adams® Seasoning & Spice, Adams Reserve®, Flavor King™, Pantry Basics™, Sear-n-Crust®, ClearVan™, Carniceria®, Cocina del Rey®, Naturals™, and Urban Canner™ along with the Adams Frozen Skillet Desserts and Adams Premium Ice Cream lines. In addition, Adams is proud to manufacture for some of the nations most respected Private Label Brands as well as other legacy Regional Seasoning Brands and is used to flavor many commercially produced food products around the nation.
Prize 3: A Set of Baking Pans from Anolon
Established in the 1950’s, Meyer Manufacturing started by making and selling flashlights. In 1971 they started their journey into selling cookware. By 1986 they released the world’s first hard-anodized nonstick cookware which revolutionized the world of home cooking. Their nonstick surface didn’t flake or scratch easily.
Today they sell bakeware with nonstick interior and exterior made with a special sapphire-reinforced blend that is triple coated. NOTE: Color may vary from the photo above.
Make Sweets & Treats your one-stop shop for all your holiday sprinkle needs. In addition to fun, festive and colorful sprinkles, Sweets & Treats offers cupcake liners, edible glitters, sugars, and more.
Founded in 2010 by Shannon Harvey out of an industry need for bold, bright cupcake liners and baking supplies that are the life of the party! Based in Louisiana, Sweets & Treats is a designer cupcake liner manufacturer and party supply company that creates exclusive greaseproof cupcake liners, sprinkles, sprinkle mixes, paper straws, and other baking supplies.
Four (4) winners will be selected. The prize packages will be sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. Bloggers are not responsible for prize fulfillment. Winners have 24 hours to respond once notified by email, or they forfeit the prize and an alternate winner will be chosen. The #FallFlavors bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members living in the household cannot enter or win the giveaway. Entries will be verified. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. Giveaway open to US Residents only who are 18 years of age or older to enter the giveaway. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, or any other social channel mentioned in the #ChristmasCookies posts or entry.a Rafflecopter giveaway