Easy Apple Chicken Salad Croissants is a perfect blend of sweet and savory flavors, where the natural sweetness of the apples complements the savory notes of the chicken.
This post is sponsored by NewAir. All opinions are my own.
My Mom used to call me a chicken salad connoisseur. Whenever I have the opportunity to make chicken salad, I do. Often I’ll make extra chicken just so I can make chicken salad.
If it’s on a menu, I order it. I love chicken salad and have passed that love on to my youngest son. I recently made this easy apple chicken salad croissant for a weekend lunch.
This post may contain affiliate links. I earn a nominal commission if products are purchased through links at no additional charge to you.
What ingredients do you need for apple chicken salad?
An at-a-glance list of what you need to make this recipe:
- Chicken – Cook chicken for this recipe, use up leftovers, or buy a rotisserie chicken at the supermarket.
- Apple – Chop your apple into bite-sized pieces. I start by using an apple corer and slice the wedges from there.
- Almonds – I prefer to use slivered to sliced. Sliced can get soggy.
- Dried Cranberries – You could use raisins if you prefer but the cranberries add great flavor.
- Onion – Finely chopped onion adds texture and flavor.
- Mayonnaise – Use your favorite brand.
- Croissant – Or crackers, your favorite sandwich bread, flour tortillas, or butter lettuce.
Shop the ingredients for apple chicken salad.
How do you serve apple chicken salad?
A chicken salad croissant sandwich is an easy lunch for any day of the week, especially if you want to take it to work. Make either apple chicken salad or cranberry almond chicken salad.
But I don’t always have croissants so sometimes I’ll use toasted wheat or potato bread.
I often enjoy chicken salad on crackers, in a lettuce wrap, or even by itself.
It was a summer not so long ago when I taught my son to make chicken salad. Now when I make chicken he always asks me to cook an extra chicken breast or two. That way we can have chicken salad for a weekend lunch and he gets to practice making it.
While we love this chicken salad on croissants but I always have flour tortillas in the house and that’s a nice alternative. You could also make scrumptious lettuce wraps too, but it’s equally delicious on any bread you choose.
“This recipe is AMAZING! I will eat this for the rest of my life! So good and easy-peasy!” ~ Rose Martine
What type of apples can I use for easy apple chicken salad?
Honestly, you can use your favorite apple in this recipe. I love Envy™ apples because they don’t turn brown quickly but I’ve also used Granny Smith and Red Delicious.
How do I keep apples from turning brown?
If you choose a variety other than the Envy™, before mixing the apples with the chicken and other ingredients, toss them with a little apple juice.
I know, you’ve heard that lemon juice keeps apples from browning but so does apple juice. And, apple juice doesn’t alter the flavor at all.
Toss your cut apples with either lemon juice or apple juice to keep them from turning brown.
A Free Shopping List!
It’s already filled in with the ingredients you need for this apple chicken salad recipe plus room for other items you may need.
Print out my shopping list, pictured above, with the recipe ingredients already filled in! There is plenty of room for additional items you may need.
Why college students need the Newair Compact Mini Refrigerator with Freezer
When kids go to college there’s a long list of necessities. Trust me, I know since I have one in college and one soon to be in college.
At the top of my soon to be college student’s list is a mini refrigerator, but one that he can keep items in to make some of his favorite recipes, easily, without cooking, such as this easy apple chicken salad.
The Newair 3.1 Cu. Ft. Compact Mini Refrigerator with Freezer and Can Dispenser Model NRF031BK00 will be perfect for his dorm room.
First, it’s a perfect size and he can adjust the shelves to fit whatever food and drinks he needs to keep in it.
The features include:
- Adjustable shelves – fit whatever you need to.
- Storage compartments – for drinks, snacks, etc.
- Separate freezer – the freezer is separate, not part of the refrigerator.
- Compact design – fits in less than two square feet. 33 inches tall with 3 temperature settings.
- Quiet compressor – won’t interrupt conversations or disrupt sleep.
- Reversible door – lets you place this unit wherever is convenient.
- Stylish appearance – Available in a choice of two colors that will compliment any decor.
But this Newair 3.1 Cu. Ft. Compact Mini Refrigerator with Freezer and Can Dispenser Model NRF031BK00 isn’t just for college students. It’s perfect for a home game or movie room, an RV, or a studio apartment.
Through my partnership with Newair, if you are in the market for a compact refrigerator, you can get 10% off with the code FAMILY_10 when purchased through this link. You must enter the discount code and click apply for it to be applied. The 10% off code is good throught September 30, 2023.
More sandwich ideas
While these sandwiches are perfect for anyone, along with this easy chicken salad with apples, they’re ideal for college kids who have access to a kitchen. There’s no cooking involved, either.
- Roast Beef, Ham, and Bacon Club Sandwich – Made with deli lunch meats, it’s easy to make in a dorm room.
- Skinny Fruit and Tuna Lettuce Wrap – An extremely easy lunch or dinner idea.
- Overnight Muffaletta Sandwich – Everything needed to make this sandwich can be kept in your fridge.
In addition to this easy apple chicken salad recipe, here’s a round-up of easy sandwich and wrap ideas for college students that are ideal for a dorm.
Did you make this recipe? If so, please leave a 5-star review on the recipe card below.
Apple Chicken Salad Croissants
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise or to taste
- 1 tablespoon dried cranberries
- ½ sweet onion diced
- 1 apple chopped and cored
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 croissants sliced in half
- In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients except croissants. Pile chicken salad evenly on each croissant.
- Serve and enjoy.