It was a chilly start to the day here so I decided to make one of our favorite soups, broccoli cheddar, the copycat version from Panera Bread Company. We LOVE the broccoli cheddar soup. It was a huge hit with my boys and my brother who was here visiting. There was not a drop left and we all thoroughly enjoyed it. I served it with crusty Cuban bread.
To make this soup creamier, I put about 2 ladle-fulls in my blender to puree some of the carrot and broccoli pieces. I garnished with a few shavings of shredded cheddar cheese. This was enough for a late lunch but would be great served with 1/2 a sandwich or salad. Another serving suggestion is ladle into a bread bowl.
The week 3 recipe in the 52 Week New Recipe Challenge for 2016 is this Panera copycat broccoli cheddar soup. My family thinks it a keeper.
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/ cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups half and half
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 pound fresh broccoli (about 3 cups), chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup carrot, julienned
- 2 cups (8 ounces) sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in skillet and saute onion until soft. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt 1/4 cup butter over medium heat. Add flour and stir constantly using a wooden spoon for 3 - 4 minutes. Add half and half and stir using a whisk until combined.
- Add the chicken stock and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the broccoli, carrots and reserved onions. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook over low heat for 20 minutes.
- Ladle 2 spoonfuls into a blender container and puree until smooth. Return puree to saucepan and stir. Return to low heat and add Cheddar cheese, reserving some for garnish. Stir until cheese is melted and combined. Don't turn up the heat to rush the process. Be patient.
- Serve with crusty bread.
Serve with a sandwich or salad to round out the meal.