Whether you’re celebrating July 4th, hosting a backyard gathering for Memorial Day or welcoming a soldier home from duty these patriotic cupcakes are perfect for the occasion.
This post contains affiliate links where I will receive a small commission on purchases with nothing additional to you.
I found this recipe in the Simple & Delicious cookbook from the editors at Taste of Home. This is a cookbook I simply love. I reviewed a copy of the book and you can find it here. I love that these cupcakes start with a mix. You must use a white cake mix or the colors will be off and you’ll be disappointed with the results.
The challenge is getting each color into the cupcake liners evenly. Try to get the colors one on top of the other so they don’t bleed down the side. If they do, don’t sweat it. They will still be red, white and blue and taste delicious! I got 18 cupcakes from the recipe.
I happened to have the traditional red, white and blue sprinkles, or jimmies, but you you could use nonpareils or fun star sprinkles. See some of my favorites below. You can also use patriotic cupcake liners, although I used white ones, because I had them and it’s kind of fun to see the colors of the cupcake through the liner.
- 1 package white cake mix (I used Duncan Hines)
- 1/2 teaspoon blue food coloring
- 1/2 teaspoon red food coloring
- 1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting
- Red, white and blue sprinkles (jimmies, non-pariels or stars)
- Prepare cake mix batter according to package directions for cupcakes. Line muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- In a small bowl, combine 1-1/3 cups batter and the blue food coloring. In another bowl, combine 1-1/3 cups batter and the red food coloring. Leave remaining batter plain.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups with evenly with the red batter, then evenly with the plain batter and finally evenly with the blue batter. Bake at 350° for 20-24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Frost with vanilla frosting; decorate with sprinkles of your choice.