I always like to make an Easter treat for my family. This year we will be celebrating the holiday with family so I wanted to try a recipe to take for dessert that would be kid friendly. I thought, M&M’s are kid friendly and this cookie bar looked great. I found this recipe on the Averie Cooks website and made it as a test for a playdate. The kids, and Moms, LOVED them. One Mom said they look and taste like Easter.
These bar cookies are chock full of chocolate making them a perfect treat or dessert for Easter. Make this recipe even more decadent by using the cookie bar as a base for a sundae. The week 4 recipe in the 52 week new recipe challenge is this fun and delicious cookie bar.
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Easter M & M's - I used milk chocolate
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chip
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8 x 8-inch baking pan with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter and allow to cool briefly.
- In a medium bowl place the egg, brown sugar, and vanilla. Drizzle melted butter and whisk until smooth.
- Add the flour and salt and stir until just combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and M&M's.
- Place the batter into prepared pan and spread to edges, smoothing the top with a spatula.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for 25 to 30 minutes or until done. When a toothpick inserted in center has crumbs, they are done. Allow bars to cool at least 1 hour in pan before removing and cutting. Bars will firm up upon cooling.
Cutting bars smaller will yield more.
Adapted from Averie Cooks.