These Individual Mermaid Ice Cream Treats are super easy to make. Get the kids involved in making them and serve for a summer treat after playing outside or at a sleepover.
This post and recipe was created for #SummerDessertWeek! I was sent samples from the sponsor companies but, as always, opinions are mine.
So, this is my first venture into mermaid anything. I know it’s been a popular trend for quite a while now but, since I have boys, it’s a trend I’ve not ever needed, to make anything girlie. That’s not to say I don’t like mermaids or girlie things. My boys once insisted I have a princess candle for my birthday.
Everything I used for this cute treat, the cupcake liners, mermaid tails using candy melts, candy decorations and disposable decorating bags, is in the Wilton DIY-Lish Mermaid Cupcake Decorating Kit. There really are no special techniques to make these mermaid treats that are sure to bring smiles. There are a few reasons these are so perfect for summer parties. First, they are no bake so no worries about heating up the house. Second, kids can get in on the fun of decorating. Serve them after a playdate, a day in the pool or for a summer sleepover. They would also be cute for a baby shower, just make all the tails pink.
If you’re having a mermaid birthday party for your daughter, these individual mermaid ice cream treats would be a fun, and unexpected, addition. I’m sure the girls attending would go crazy, not to mention they are pretty impressive. No one needs to know how easy they are.
I used store bought ice cream in the interest of time and convenience. But if you like to make homemade ice cream, Cooking with Carlee has a delicious vanilla called Mimi’s vanilla ice cream. It’s made in an ice cream maker so you’ll need to plan to make it. Of course you can use other flavors, including my nutty cookies and cream ice cream. Leave out the nuts if there are allergy concerns.
Tips for Making the Mermaid Tails:
- Make more than you think you’ll need. Some may break when you remove them from the mold.
- Melt the candy melts in a disposable Wilton decorating bag in the microwave. Knead with your hand to melt the last bits.
- Pipe into the mermaid tail mold. Using a tooth pick fill in the mold with the candy melts.
- GENTLY tap mold on counter to release air bubbles.
- Make the mermaid tails in advance and store in an airtight container. I made them a week before I made the ice cream cups.
Tips for Making Mermaid Swirl Whipped Cream:
- Chill the bowl, stainless steel is best, and beaters before whipping the heavy cream. Why? Well, it’s a bit scientific to get into here but, in a nutshell, it whips better and will stay set longer.
- Use Dixie Crystals powdered sugar to sweeten the whipped cream. Granulated sugar can result in a grainy texture since it won’t melt. Do this to taste. Using powdered sugar also stabilizes it better.
- Add the powdered sugar as you begin to beat the cream.
- Tint the cream as you begin to whip the cream so the color is evenly distributed. Otherwise you may have streaks.
- A hand mixer or stand mixer work best but it’s not impossible to whip cream by hand, just tiring.
- Don’t over beat the cream. You will end up with butter. Very pretty, colored butter.
It's good to have extra mermaid tails in the event any break. Store extras in airtight container. As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
It's good to have extra mermaid tails in the event any break. Store extras in airtight container.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Check out the amazing #SummerDessertWeek recipes from our bloggers today!
Ice Cream Recipes:
- Circus Animal Cookie Ice Cream from Fake Ginger
- No Churn Banana Pudding Ice Cream from Nik Snacks
- Butterscotch Ice Cream from Pastry Chef Online
- Individual Mermaid Ice Cream Treats from Family Around the Table
- Orange Creamsicle Ice Cream Bon Bons from Cooking With Carlee
Pies of Summer:
- Creamy Peach Pie Delight from Who Needs A Cape?
- Key Lime Coconut Pie from Doughmesstic
- Frozen Strawberry Yogurt Pie from Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Mini Fresh Strawberry Pies from Cheese Curds in Paradise
- Cherry Limeade Icebox Pie from Sweet Beginnings
Sweet Summertime Cakes and Cupcakes:
- Coconut Custard Almond Cake from The Food Hunter’s Guide to Cuisine
- Strawberry Ice Cream Cake from The Beard and The Baker
- Fiesta Lime Cupcakes from My Baking Heart
- Nana’s Strawberry Shortcake Cake from Daily Dish Recipes
- Ice Cream Cone Drip Cake from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Summer Berries Pavlova Cake from Home Sweet Homestead
- Buttermilk Chocolate Cake from Back To My Southern Roots
- Peanut Butter and Chocolate Charlotte A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Mermaid Layer Cake from Love and Confections
- Vanilla Icebox Cake from Books n’ Cooks
- Peach-Basil Coffee Cake from The Spiffy Cookie
- Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes from Cookaholic Wife
- The Perfect Vanilla Cupcake from Our Good Life
No Bake Treats:
- No Bake Lemon Chiffon Dessert from Miss in the Kitchen
- Pineapple Pretzel Fluff Salad from 4 Sons R Us
- Easy Raspberry Cream Cheese Dessert from Blogghetti
- No Bake Strawberry Cheesecake from Everyday Eileen
- Strawberry Pretzel Salad Dessert from Creative Southern Home
- No Bake Berry Cheesecake from Desserts Required
- Sea Shell Beach Cakesicles from Big Bear’s Wife
- Mermaid Splash Cookies from The Domestic Kitchen
- Blueberry Crumble Cheesecake from A Blender Mom
- Cruise Ship Strawberry Crepes from Southern From Scratch
- Blueberry Lemon Cheesecake from Eat Move Make
- Caramel Sticky Pudding Cake from Shockingly Delicious
- Blackberry Roly Poly from Nancie’s Table
- Strawberry Monkey Bread from The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Raspberry Custard Bars with Almond from My Sweet Zepol
- Caramel Corn Cheesecake from Sweet ReciPEAs
- Blackberry Cheesecake with Blackberry Compote from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Easy Mini Fruit Pizzas from Jen Around the World
- Sunflower Cookies from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Orange Creamsicle Chip Cookies from Palatable Pastime
- Viennese Whirls from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Mason Jar Caramel Banana Pudding from For the Love of Food
Welcome to the 3rd Annual #SummerDessertWeek event hosted by Angie from Big Bear’s Wife. This week-long summer time event is filled with some down right amazing sweet recipes from fantastic bloggers and we’ve got some great giveaways from our generous sponsors for y’all too!! We can’t wait to share all of these summer-themed desserts with you and celebrate sweet, sweet summertime all week long!
There are 45 incredible bloggers participating in this year’s #SummerDessertWeek event! Thanks to those bloggers, we have over 168 summer time sweet treat recipes being shared this week! Grab a few recipes to try out and don’t forget to enter the giveaway below!
Scroll down to take a look!
Dixie Crystals is giving away one (1)Keurig® K-Select® Coffee Maker
Prize #2 — Adam’s Extract is giving away – 1 Gift Pack – including Adams Poundcake Kit, Adams Best, Adams Lemon Extract, Adams Natural Food Color, and Adams Cinnamon Sugar
Prize #3 —Wilton is giving away a Wilton Gift Pack – including – Bake and Bring Geometric Print Non-Stick 13 x 9 -inch Oblong Pan, Bake and Bring Geometric Print Non-Stick 8-inch Square Cake Pan, Bake and Bring Geometric Print Non-Stick 8-inch Round Cake Pan, Peach Cobbler Candy Melts Candy, Blueberry Lemonade Candy Melts Candy, Orange Crème Candy Melts Candy, Key Lime Pie Decorating Icing Pouch with Tips, Orange Crème Decorating Icing Pouch with Tips, Pop Art Triangle and Solid Cupcake Liners, Geometric Print and Solid Green Cupcake Liners, Balloon Dog Icing Decorations, Assorted Brights and Pastels Sprinkles, Blue Sprinkles Tackle Box, Coral Sprinkles Tackle Box, DIY-Lish Mermaid Kit, DIY-Lish Candy Lollipop Kit and Disposable Decorating Bags with 1M Tips
Prize #4 — Sweets & Treats Boutique is giving away 1 (one) baking supply box including an assortment of sprinkles and cupcake liners as well as one of Love From The Oven’s recent cookbooks!
Prize #4 — Anolon is giving one (1) winner an Anolon Advanced Graphite 9″ Round Springform Pan & an Anolon Advanced Graphite 9″ Square Springform Pan
Giveaway open to US Residents 18 years or older. All entries will be verified. No PO Boxes Please. Prizes will be sent directly from sponsors to winners, bloggers are not responsible for prizes. This giveaway runs from July 7th – July 14th at 12AMEST. Winners will be selected after giveaway end and contacted by e-mail. Winners will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen. There are a total of 5 (five) prizes and we will have a total of 5 (five) winners. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law.
Disclaimer: These posts and recipes are part of the week-long event, #SummerDessertWeek but all opinions are mine. We would like to thank our sponsors: Dixie Crystals, Adam’s Extract, Wilton, Sweets and Treats Shop and Anolon ! These wonderful sponsors provided the prize packs for our giveaways and also sent samples and products to the #SummerDessertWeek bloggers to use in their recipes.